T.P.'s 5th Annual Food Plot Prep Picture Thread

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Canuck 5,They came thru my place a few weeks back, I headed them back south.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Oh, great!!!!! LOL!!!!! Thanks!!! (again, for the help this weekend!)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Here is proof that this group of does like the stuff growing in this plot. It’s a home brew with some wheat, greens, clover, and radishes.
The part over at the fruit trees was plowed well. The part toward the camera was sowed in high grass and just run over once with a smoothing harrow.

This was this afternoon while I hunted. E8D3E162-877F-429D-8B69-ECA3FD21B290.jpeg

Canuck5

Her first deer ..... over a perennial clover plot. Now she's switched to being a dedicated buck hunter! Last year she saw one of the biggest bucks on our property, but didn't get to bring him home. Congrats girl!!!

Lani's first deer.jpg

Canuck5

Cause T.P. always needs pichers. Some of my annual plots

MoPlot 11-10-18.jpgPond Plot 11-10-18.jpgPond plot 11-10-18-1.jpg

Canuck5

And we have to feed the members, too ..

Big Sexy 11-10-18.jpg

Canuck5

One of my biggest pet peeves ....... what should the penalty be for driving thru food plots, especially in muddy conditions. If they would've went 50 feet farther south, they could've driven around the plot ..... :mad:
Driving thru a food plot.JPG

Canuck5

Yup, that I do!!

Canuck5

I've been waiting to give an opinion on the Frosty Berseem Clover I added to the mix this season, but just now have been able to identify which plants were the Berseem. I had assumed it was going to jump out of the ground quicker than the others, but I don't think that was the case. It might show up as a great deer preference in March .... only time will tell! It's the one with the long oblong leaves, with no white water mark.

Frosty Berseem 11-24-18.JPG

davidhelmly

I've been waiting to give an opinion on the Frosty Berseem Clover I added to the mix this season, but just now have been able to identify which plants were the Berseem. I had assumed it was going to jump out of the ground quicker than the others, but I don't think that was the case. It might show up as a great deer preference in March .... only time will tell! It's the one with the long oblong leaves, with no white water mark.

View attachment 950770
I was under the same impression about berseem, I thought it’s positive was the quick early growth that it produced. Hmmm...

Canuck5

Yes, I don't have a good answer for you. It was supposed to be as fast, or faster than Crimson, growing, but I just don't know.

Triple C

Canuck...Thanks for the update on the Frosty Berseem clover. Keep us posted as the months progress. I tried Fixation Balansa clover 3 years ago when it was the rage on one of the national forums and quite honestly was disappointed. Never tried berseem clover but always interested in learning new stuff.

I've yet to find anything to beat ladino and durana for nearly year round attraction. Both on my place look fantastic right now and are feeding deer. As the acorns disappear and frost kills much of the green browse the plots will be filling up with deer. Grandson took a nice 4x4 Friday afternoon that crossed the plot and stopped at the edge. Buck wasn't feeding in the plot but I guarantee that the doe he was after feeds in it daily. Keep the doe groups happy n the bucks will be around.

Canuck5

Trial and error!! What works on one property, doesn't necessarily mean it will work on another! Just noticed that the deer have now started nibbling on the daikon radish. No signs on the turnips yet, but maybe soon.

I planted more Durana this year as well, on properties where things aren't as nice as they could be. I haven't been over to check them out recently, but soon. I expect things will look good over there next spring, as well.

Definitely Ladino clover works ........ She switched from getting her first doe, to getting her first buck yesterday. A nice 175 pound 9 point. The smile tells it all.

Her first buck.jpg