T.P.'s 6th annual food plot prep picture thread

Kdog

When you hack, do you hack clean through, or just enough to get a dose of pronto in the hack?

Triple C

When you hack, do you hack clean through, or just enough to get a dose of pronto in the hack?
Kdog - First time I've ever tried the hack n squirt method. Read quite a bit about it and anxious to see how it turns out. On the smaller diameter trees, say 4 inches diameter or less, I just whacked the hatchet into the bark on 2 sides to penetrate the cambium layer and sprayed straight gly into the cut. On larger trees, some up beyond 12" at DHB, I made several cuts around the tree and squirted gly into the cuts. I released several nice white oaks that had competing trees touching the crown and also released a number of smaller oaks that were in the midst of various sweet gums, elm, hickory and competing oaks. Will try to remember to post up pics in late spring/early summer as to how this process worked out.

Got several other areas to treat as well. In years gone by, I would take a chainsaw in and cut em but failed to paint the stumps and the regrowth from the stumps was more than I expected.

Kdog

We have a couple hardwood bottoms that need attention on our lease and I have been wanting to get in there to clear the underbrush. However, I think it may be time to step away from it after 20 plus years, so not sure I will put the effort into it this year. Just like the additional options the lease provides over the limited owned property we have access to.

Have 50 dunstan chestnut seeds cold stratifying now that a portion will be planted on our property, and will probably sell the rest if they look good. Will put some at the lease if I decide to keep it.

spencer12

Oh it’s just roundup. I’ve been doing some cutting and squirting on some sweet gums. I’m interested to see how well it works.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Bulldog 805 Alfalfa coming on ..... and some grass, weeds and residual clover.

Orchard Alfalfa 2-22-20.jpg

Canuck5

1500 pounds of salt/mineral salt, put out for our mineral sites

deerbuster

Turnips, cover grains, and radishes are starting to flower and shade out clover. Would you mow everything down low to allow the clover to recover and give it an advantage? Harrowing is not an option and anything strong enough to kill turnips right now will also kill clover (herbicide speaking). Mowing my only option?

Canuck5

Mowing won't kill your grains, so you'll need clethodim and crop oil to knock that off. Wait 3 weeks after spraying and go in and mow. The radishes and turnips won't last a lot longer.