Talking 'bout yellow jackets.

Bill Mc

A few years ago, I notice some flying around some old stack of bushel baskets on my carport. On further examination, it seemed that it wasn't a single vistor but a constant flow coming in and out between the 3rd and 4th basket.

Now there was no way to spray the hole and the baskets had too many entrances.

Solution, around eleven that night, I tied one basket to the carport column and the other to the front bumper of my truck. I waited that late so I wouldn't have any visitors getting stung as I suspected this was a very large nest.

Turned on the carport light, cranked up the truck and slowly backed out.

The whole area of a double carport was filled with angry swarming yellow jackets. Even venturing out to the front door. :hair:

So I waited about a half hour till I could go in the front door. Carport door still had beucoup jackets looking for whoever.

In the morning I sprayed the exposed nest. 3 layers about 12 inches in diameter. that wasp/hornet spray kill instantly.

Jake Allen

Wow, that was a tricky situation.
I reckon if you didn't get stung many times and you got rid of the nest, it got handled just right.

MIG

Pa-in-law "found" one two days ago at the edge of my yard; got hit by six while on the mower. But answer me this: I've mowed all summer, he's mowed two or three times in the last month himself (last weekend as a matter of fact), I sprayed herbicide (and walked) all over 'em several weeks ago, and he raked pine straw around them two hours before mowing...why didn't they attack then?:huh: The nest wasn't small (ie, new) so I assume they've been there a while.

They have since gone bye-bye, the nasty little devils, but I'm afraid the ol' man won't want to cut the grass anymore.:rolleyes:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
What if it was this! :hair:

Attachments

• Yellow Jacket Nest.jpg
    Yellow Jacket Nest.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 79