talking off warts

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
I think bottle trees has something to do with haints. The blue bottles are preferred.
What about painting the bottom of trees white? Used to see that in South Georgia or Coastal Georgia. I wonder if that is some type of thing to ward off evil spirits. They use to line both sides of the driveway with half buried tires and paint them white too.
What about white and blue? I pass a house on the way to my hunting club that is white and blue with white painted on the bottoms of trees and the driveway is lined with bricks painted white and blue.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
My daddy. 97 years old and 1/4 Cherokee. Seen him take warts off many times. But he always tells people they have to believe it will happen.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
My grandmother always had a broomsedge broom by the fireplace that she used to clean the hearth. I made one years ago for nostalgic reasons. Used it by the fireplace for many years myself.

What about totin' a buckeye for good luck?

"Dodger", You are so right. When I was just a toddler, I remember us having a "really small one" to be used around the fireplace for cleaning the brick hearth area. I remember about every other year that we would make new ones for using to sweep the entire house. Some of them were about 4 feet long too. I also remember us cleaning off any of the little "hairy looking fibers" that could easily come off when sweeping and I remember my Father using an old rubber inner-tube from a tire and he would cut it into long pieces about an inch wide and that is what was used to tie around the diameter of the "handle area" and it covered about a foot or so of the length of the broom to keep all of these pieces of broomsedge held together to make the brooms work much better.

I have to admit that those brooms worked really well too. OH, that also makes me remember cutting limbs of dogwood trees each spring to make a "brush broom" to clean the dirt area of the yard...which was the majority of the front and side yard back then. When I was big enough, that was my normal early Saturday morning chore. Those things worked great as I brushed back and forth and cleaned all of the fallen leaves and other debris from the yard.

LAST and not least, YES my Father always carried a buckeye with him most everywhere that he went too, including hunting. I still have a couple of them that he gave me as a child too.

I have to admit that this thread is a very interesting one and it has given me the opportunity to re-live a lot of my childhood days again and has put a big smile on my face of thinking about my country upbringing.

I wouldn't take any amount of money in exchange for me growing up in the country and having to work hard at everything to make sure that we had plenty of food to eat, as we had two huge gardens each year (early and late) that we also shared with all of the neighbors as well. Those were indeed the "GOOD OLE DAYS".

Last edited:

ripplerider

My Grandad (or Pop as we called him) had a twig broom he brushed the dirt part of his yard with too. We used to love to do it for him when we visited. I miss sitting on the screened-in porch listening to him and Granny and my aunts and uncles talk about old times. Making homemade ice-cream with fresh home-grown peaches, exploring all the barns and the smokehouse shooting bluejays out of his pecan trees... good memories.

I never personally knew anyone who could talk off warts but heard it talked about a lot and believed it was true. Seems like stumpwater was involved usually.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Yep, i've had warts talked off and the fire talked outta me. She was an old woman that lived to be over a 100 and had not been to a Dr until she was in her 90's. I hate that so much of the old ways are gone and will be forgotten before long.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
"Dodger", You are so right. When I was just a toddler, I remember us having a "really small one" to be used around the fireplace for cleaning the brick hearth area. I remember about every other year that we would make new ones for using to sweep the entire house. Some of them were about 4 feet long too. I also remember us cleaning off any of the little "hairy looking fibers" that could easily come off when sweeping and I remember my Father using an old rubber inner-tube from a tire and he would cut it into long pieces about an inch wide and that is what was used to tie around the diameter of the "handle area" and it covered about a foot or so of the length of the broom to keep all of these pieces of broomsedge held together to make the brooms work much better.

I have to admit that those brooms worked really well too. OH, that also makes me remember cutting limbs of dogwood trees each spring to make a "brush broom" to clean the dirt area of the yard...which was the majority of the front and side yard back then. When I was big enough, that was my normal early Saturday morning chore. Those things worked great as I brushed back and forth and cleaned all of the fallen leaves and other debris from the yard.

LAST and not least, YES my Father always carried a buckeye with him most everywhere that he went too, including hunting. I still have a couple of them that he gave me as a child too.

I have to admit that this thread is a very interesting one and it has given me the opportunity to re-live a lot of my childhood days again and has put a big smile on my face of thinking about my country upbringing.

I wouldn't take any amount of money in exchange for me growing up in the country and having to work hard at everything to make sure that we had plenty of food to eat, as we had two huge gardens each year (early and late) that we also shared with all of the neighbors as well. Those were indeed the "GOOD OLE DAYS".

My Grandmother made and used broomsedge brooms too. She wrapped hers with baccer twine. Up until I was around 14 or so she also kept the yard swept.

She knew of my appreciation for old things and about 40 years ago she made one for me. I keep it leaned up against my bookshelf as a momento of her. I`ll take a picture of it and post it. As for buckeyes, I collect those off the trees around my pasture every year and give them to friends.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
You run across somebody that can talk away hemorrhoids, PM me.

Artfuldodger

OH, that also makes me remember cutting limbs of dogwood trees each spring to make a "brush broom" to clean the dirt area of the yard...which was the majority of the front and side yard back then. When I was big enough, that was my normal early Saturday morning chore. Those things worked great as I brushed back and forth and cleaned all of the fallen leaves and other debris from the yard.

OK, you got to be older than me. lol
I do remember seeing a few women sweeping yards with no grass in them. That's a bit before my time. There is a real pretty swept yard at the Chesser Island Homestead on the edge of the swamp near Folkston.

Check out the yards in this video of the Chesser homestead;

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Had a great aunt that could talk warts off, she talked a few off for me. She was also 1/4 Indian, Creek I believe. She passed away some years back and she didn’t pass any of her abilities down.
Heard of a man that could rub and/or buy moles off of folks, never saw it though.

Healing Ruby is a decent series of books. All fiction, but it’s 4 books about a woman’s life and her struggles with her ability to faith heal.

My grandad said my gg grandad had a potion that he put on skin cancers and they'd go away after a while. My grandad said he never would tell anyone what the ingrediants were. He said gg grandad, who was born in 1850, wore a large felt hat when he was outside but wore a turban around the house. His family moved to Florida in the 1830's from Georgia and it makes me wonder if maybe they were Creeks. Growing up the older folks didn't talk much about family history.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
News to me about bottle trees, there's one on Tybee island beside the Crab Shack...……..

This one is about a mile from my cabin at Lake Seminole. Been there for as long as I can remember.bottle tree.jpg