Talking turkey

Jody Hawk

Favorite turkey caller?

Who's the best that you have ever heard run a turkey call? I mean that one person that can flat out talk turkey. Mine is Joe Drake. In my opinion, nobody can talk turkey like him. I wish that I sounded half that good on a mouth diaphragm.

Arrow Flinger

I love to hear Joe hen talk. I wish my best was as good as his worst. I also use to love to hear Preston Pittman call with his natural voice expecially his gobble. Of course I may be partial but I can listen to Eddie Salter call all day and he always amazes me. He can owl hoot better than a real owl. I have also heard Ricky Joe call with the best of them.

gobblinglawyer

Limb Hanger said:
Jim Pollard, Chris Parrish, Walter Parrott, Matt Vancise, Benny Briggs, Doug Bennifield, Joe Drake

I'll second those, but I like "old school" too.

Preston Pittman, Ben Lee, and Eddie Salter are all good ones.

pseshooter

Talking Turkey

There is a bunch of great callers on the stage but the wood's is where it is at. Two of the best I have heard is Roscoe Rheem's(???? spelling) and Benny Brigg's. Them boy's know how to talk to a turkey.

Gadget

Best I've heard in person would probably be Eddie

Outdoor-Writer07

Talk-n-Turkey...

I would have to say I like to hear Eddie Salter doing the Owl hoot. I have heard Preston Pittman do the gobble in person, man he's amazing. Hen calling though, I really like Michael Waddell. I don't know if it's his style of hunting or what. I like watching him turkey hunt though. I wished he would join up with Primos though, instead of those realtime boys.

Gadget

strutrut247 said:
i like how after every turkey he kills, eddie salter does a hoot. i started doing it out of excitment

1.5 years ago, brought this one back from the dead.........

i have heard all those mentioned, they are all excellent callers.doug camp was a wizard w/ any call. billy mcCoy was a large influence in my calling, early on. although i haven't known him to contest call, mike pentecost can run a call w/ the best of them. the all-time best turkey callingest ,feather wearing, probably has toenails like a turkey...ken fulton from talladega....hands down.

Gadget

tearbritches said:
i have heard all those mentioned, they are all excellent callers.doug camp was a wizard w/ any call. billy mcCoy was a large influence in my calling, early on. although i haven't known him to contest call, mike pentecost can run a call w/ the best of them. the all-time best turkey callingest ,feather wearing, probably has toenails like a turkey...ken fulton from talladega....hands down.

All Alabama boys, you from Al ?

I hunted with Junior Robinson this year, man what a great expierence that was! You know most of those guys you mentioned use to work with Junior to some extent.

Junior was showing me all the calls he has signed by Billy and Doug before they died, he has a bunch.

Here are the calls I walked away with all signed.

Last edited:
:biggrin2: :biggrin2: gadget, those are some nice calls you got there! i know junior and all them bama boys cause i is one, too! did ya'll hunt there in clay county? millerville , maybe? i know bout every stump and rock around there. let me know if you want to get on some birds in that part of the world, it would be my pleasure. i do plan on making the annual fall pilgramage for deer and gobblers. my family and my wifes' are all around there ,and i have some awesome places to hunt on private land. i also hunt public quite a bit, but i'd have to blindfold ye' first!

Gadget

tearbritches said:
:biggrin2: :biggrin2: gadget, those are some nice calls you got there! i know junior and all them bama boys cause i is one, too! did ya'll hunt there in clay county? millerville , maybe? i know bout every stump and rock around there. let me know if you want to get on some birds in that part of the world, it would be my pleasure. i do plan on making the annual fall pilgramage for deer and gobblers. my family and my wifes' are all around there ,and i have some awesome places to hunt on private land. i also hunt public quite a bit, but i'd have to blindfold ye' first!

Yeah I figured you were, knowing all those guys.

We started of on Talledaga NF just down the road from his house. Wind was blowing 30+ on top the mountain and we didn't hear a thing. After that we hit bout 5 different properties in the valley; Running and Gunning. Raised two distant gobblers, but they were off the property. Had a good time even though the hunting was bad.

Planning on going back next year for sure. I've been hunting opening week down in Henry county on the South Side of Eufalla but if I don't do that then I'll go over to Talladega NF.

I won't peak, I promise............:bounce:

Last edited: