Tankless hot water heater question

bnew17

We built our house in November 2019 and went with a tankless hot water heater (runs off propane). It has been great. Recently our local telephone/internet service guy was at the house and we were talking. He said that he was advised to "flush" the system every few years especially if you are on a well. He said there is a special piece of equipment you use. Is anybody familiar with this? This is the first experience I have ever had with tankless. Thanks

Jim Baker

Staff member
We built our house in November 2019 and went with a tankless hot water heater (runs off propane). It has been great. Recently our local telephone/internet service guy was at the house and we were talking. He said that he was advised to "flush" the system every few years especially if you are on a well. He said there is a special piece of equipment you use. Is anybody familiar with this? This is the first experience I have ever had with tankless. Thanks

I have had a tankless water heater for 13 years. I de-lime it twice per year. It is simple to do, you just have to have the right equipment. A small sump pump and a set of clothes washer hoses. 5 gallon bucket and 4 gallons of white distilled vinegar.

Mine is a Noritz natural gas model.

The washer hose have two female ends and the line from the sump pump to heater are male.

Anyway, plenty of videos on how to do it.

tucker80

What he said. ^^^^^
We use the Haymaker but manufacturers recommend straight vinegar.

We use the haymaker as well. One of the guys destroyed a brand new pump with vinegar. It didn't get flushed enough and ate it up.

@bnew17 , you can get the haymaker kit the first time and just buy the flush afterwards.

Sargent

About to do the same thing to ours. A plumber friend walked me through it- but said, like others, that YouTube is a good source.