Target practice on Chattahoochee NF

SparkyJB

Hey guys. Question. I'm a pretty new hunter. Last deer season was my first season. I just bought me a Mossberg 835 to assist me with my first Turkey season, but I have nowhere that is private to practice. Is target shooting legal on Chattahoochee NF?

ryanh487

Shooting is legal on NF land as long as you clean up after yourself.

Of course, be smart and pick a solid backstop, don't shoot over trails, and it would be smart to place warning flags in the area parallel to your lane of fire to make sure you don't get surprised by hikers or scouting turkey hunters.

35 Whelen

Target Shooting
While we encourage persons participating in target shooting to practice on the national forests’ target ranges, it is possible to target shoot in areas of the forest (outside of shooting ranges) with some restrictions.
The following are prohibited on the Chattahoochee and Oconee National Forest.
  1. Discharging a firearm within 50 yards of an open public road as well as on or across a forest system road.
  2. Discharging a firearm within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site, or occupied area.
  3. Discharging a firearm on or across a body of water except when engaged in legal hunting, such as duck hunting.
  4. Discharging a firearm from a motor vehicle.
  5. Discharging a firearm into or within a cave.
  6. Discharging a firearm in a manner or place whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage (provide for safe bullet impact area).
  7. Transporting a loaded long gun in a motor vehicle.
  8. Possession of a firearm in any Federal building or facility (prohibited even with a state concealed carry permit) {18 USC 930}.
  9. Littering (remove all trash including targets and spent shell casings)
In addition to the above mentioned laws and regulations, the carrying of a firearm on your person is governed primarily by state law. These laws can be viewed in the online version of the Georgia Code. Expand Title 16---Chapter 11---Article 4---

7Mag Hunter

find yourself a dead end road on the Chatt NF and u will find plenty of spent brass and shot up TVs...LOL....i picked up 50+ 44 mag brass one time....

bighonkinjeep

Best to read the "rules" board when you enter. Just because someone else did it wont protect you from a ticket should you be in the wrong.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Ive done it for years. Ive only encountered a ranger one time. I had some emptys on my tail gate. Told her I was policing all my brass and trash. No problem.

Find a dead end road.
Have a back stop. Bank dirt berm etc. etc.
Use paper or cardboard targets.
Clean up after yourself.