Tarpon?

hawkdriver

Has anyone actually hooked up with a tarpon in the savannah area? Planning my first try of the year for 'em next week. Seen plenty of bait around, so I'm sure they're here. My experience with 'em has been alot of "seeing" and not alot of "hooking"

rfeltman41

Scott Owens is tearing them up out of St. Simons. Local guide, check him out.

hawkdriver

They seem to be (at least in my limited experience) more "catchable" down south. Had my only hookup ever in front of Cumberland.

WalkinDead

Banned
I have caught them drifting large pogies under a balloon in the St. Simon's/Jekyll Island areas over the shallow (<20 feet) areas with bait on them. Any place where the current is pushing bait up onto a shallower area is a likely spot. You will have to put up with some nice size sharks, though.

Angel Eyes

I have been told to try the north side of sand bars about two miles out but I get easily distracted by all the Tarpon I see before I even get to the beach. Thanks walkindead will try balloon going Friday and Saturday.

hawkdriver

Think I'm gonna try and look for some a bit farther out this year. Maybe try to cast some artificials into any schools I might find

Scallen2112

Last year they were roaming in schools. We would set out live bait out 30-40 yards from the boat and 5 or six in a pod would swim right past us. Of course as soon as I started carrying a big spinning rod with a 6" popper on it it never happened again. I wish this dang wind would die down so I can get back out there.