Tasty surprise

Killer Kyle

Last week I spent four days up here in the mountains trying to figure out a way to hunt an indomitable laurel thicket near a heavily hunted piece of public land. I kept finding trails going into and out of the thicket, and many of these trails had rub lines from years past. I physically cannot plow my way through, but somehow the game has figured out to use it. I was bent on finding a way to hunt the trails or leads coming down out of the thicket. The fourth day I went in from a different direction to try an approach, and stepped over a big fallen log. Being mindful, I was looking for ol' Tommy Timber Rattler on the other side of the log as I stepped over. As soon as I looked down, I saw a trumpet next to my boot. I never, ever find these, so it was a delightful fall surprise! I only took what I could hold in my ball cap. I hiked those back to the road, and picked them up on the way out. I finished the day scouting and located another buck and bear to hunt. All in all it was a successful day all around!

How would you guys suggest I cook them? Have any favorite Black trumpet recipes?

e5ireg.jpg

Found this not far from the mushrooms
qzrsat.jpg

v8lj79.jpg

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I just cut them in half and rinse in water then saute in butter for a couple minutes and put them on a bed of rice with grilled chicken breast. No need to salt. These are by far my favorite so far.

Pig Predator

Instead of pulling them, try to cut them off even, leaving the roots in the ground. Keep your stash reciprocating and makes clean up a little easier.

Killer Kyle

Instead of pulling them, try to cut them off even, leaving the roots in the ground. Keep your stash reciprocating and makes clean up a little easier.
Thanks for the input! I've heard that about cutting stems, but I have also heard it is a bunch of hoopla and doesn't actually work?! Who knows. I don't know one way or the other, but I appreciate the recipe advice!

Pig Predator

Thanks for the input! I've heard that about cutting stems, but I have also heard it is a bunch of hoopla and doesn't actually work?! Who knows. I don't know one way or the other, but I appreciate the recipe advice!
Haha! I'll find out next year. I know my chanterelles seem to like it better if they're cut.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually just sautee them. They're really good, just not much meat on them. You can be standing in the middle of a bunch of those and never see them until you find the first one. I don't think I've ever found one that wasn't growing in moss.

Nice, I found a nice pile of them not long ago too. I like them in a creamy pasta sauce, kind of like an alfredo. Or sauteed in butter, and then served over steak. Like NCHillbilly, I only find them in moss. Washes in the hills are a good place to find them.

Killer Kyle

Thanks for the input guys! I did find these growing amidst a ton of club moss / ground pine...or whatever you call it. Lycopodium clavatum is the proper, I believe!