TBG Dan Quillian Memorial State Shoot - 2023

dutchman

The 2023 Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia Dan Quillian Memorial State Shoot is coming up on May 19-21, Check the flyer attached as well as the rules for the competition events. Make plans to be with us.

Attachments

• 2023 State Shoot Flyer.pdf
    534.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 2023 Rules.pdf
    117.5 KB · Views: 16

Triple C

Won't be at the shoot but will always cherish one of ol' Dan's shirts I bought in his shop in the early 90's. Still going strong more than 30 years later. Wear it a few times each year and hope to till I leave this old earth.

This pic from 1993
6457D418-4AFF-4397-A13A-5EF078A3787E.jpeg

2019 in same shirt
8B9F66D6-04E4-498B-BB8A-A01EB8D44A16.jpeg
C179EB98-057C-4315-BE31-29821000D59F.jpeg

Have one of his Longbow Hunters on the wall. Son still shoots his Canebrake recurve.

Robust Redhorse

I called Dan up in 1988 when I was going to UGA and he invited me to come over to his house. We shot longbows and recurves and he told me that he and a few other guys who lived near Athens pretty much invented the portable tree stand and showed me an early prototype. I think he was only doing mail order at the time.

When he open Archery Tradition's in the back of the Beechwood Shopping Center, I "hung-out" there trying to soak up much as much knowledge as I could.

He was a believer in heavy arrows, even if you were shooting a compound. I believe they were a High County compound dealer, in addition to carrying all of his traditional longbows and recurves

I wanted to split the difference, so I bought an Oneida bow from Franklin's and had Archery Traditions set it up for me.

I shot 31" Easton 2317's with Rothhaar Snuffers that weighed over 200g with inserts.

They have yet to make an expandable that will do more damage than that combination!

Got a bear on foot in the Chattahoochee National Forest with that rig a few years later. The arrow was a complete pass-through.

It was really cool to learn from a living legend!

Worley

What a guy, he spent time with me as well….Hope the shoot goes well, he was a one heck of a teacher and Hunter. Still have the ol Martin bow I bought from him.

Triple C

Dan was a big Martin Archery dealer. Bought a Martin Firecat compound (in pic above) and both my boys started out with a Martin Lynx bought from Dan. Only in later years did I make the switch to stick bows.

Spent countless hours with the boys shooting in his indoor range. Loved going in there.

Hillbilly stalker

I bought a recurve made by him in the early 90’s from a local shop 2nd hand. I believe it was called a “cane break”. I call him on the phone and spoke with Mr. Dan for a few minutes, seemed like a super good man with a wealth of knowledge.Hopeyall have a good shoot.