TBG Trad Bow Pheasant Hunt

Todd Cook

Feb 10 2018, Forsyth Ga

Folks, we're gonna have some fun! Jerry Russell and the Deer Creek Bowhunters have graciously offered to let us use their hunting land to do this fun event. Trad bows, tons of pheasants, a big campfire, and lunch. What better way to spend a Saturday.

Cost will be $30.00 per adult, 15.00 per child under 18. Cost is simply to cover the cost of the birds. We need to know by Jan 15 if you can attend, because the fellow who raises the pheasants has to know in advance how many to reserve. I'll post more details soon but we need to get the reservation process going as soon as possible.

First come first serve, we'll need to cap the number around 30. So let us know.

Todd Cook-404-867-4953
Crispen Henry- 404-245-9580

jerry russell

We have done this shoot in the past and I can tell you that is a RIOT. Crazy fun, great fellowship and fun for all levels of experience.

Todd Cook

It's on my calendar so count me in. Fun stuff indeed!

You are counted sir!

It's real early but so far:

Me- Ethan- Dendy- Jerry and Luke Russell- Crispin+ 1 youth- Al- Chris Harper- Donnie Hurst-Ryan Mason-John Powell+1- Shane Whitlock and 2 younguns- Vance Henry- Clipper+2 grandsons-Johnny T and son- Buddy Darden-Jeff Hampton-James Eby- Clay Patton- Jeff Kitchens+3

Last edited:

Clipper

This is new to me so I need some "educating". I assume the birds will be released into the fields and hunters will either walk them up or find them with dogs? Flu-flu arrows? What kind of point would be best?

Todd Cook

This is new to me so I need some "educating". I assume the birds will be released into the fields and hunters will either walk them up or find them with dogs? Flu-flu arrows? What kind of point would be best?

These are pen raised" flight conditioned" birds. In other words, they're not truly wild but they're raised in flight pens with very little human contact so they're pretty spooky. We'll put them out early in the morning and then we walk them up. Pheasants will usually run before they fly, so shooting at them running with a stickbow is no easy task. When they leave the ground it gets real interesting:)

Yes, flu-flu arrows. Last time we did this the place we were at didn't allow broadheads so we used field points with a barbed washer like thing that I can't remember the name of. Paul Redavid makes and sells them. I haven't talked to Jerry about broadheads but I will, or he can post on here. And we'll all need to wear an orange vest.

Clipper

These are pen raised" flight conditioned" birds. In other words, they're not truly wild but they're raised in flight pens with very little human contact so they're pretty spooky. We'll put them out early in the morning and then we walk them up. Pheasants will usually run before they fly, so shooting at them running with a stickbow is no easy task. When they leave the ground it gets real interesting:)

Yes, flu-flu arrows. Last time we did this the place we were at didn't allow broadheads so we used field points with a barbed washer like thing that I can't remember the name of. Paul Redavid makes and sells them. I haven't talked to Jerry about broadheads but I will, or he can post on here. And we'll all need to wear an orange vest.

Sounds like a lot of fun and lost arrows. I am checking now to see if a grandson wants to come with me. Will let you know soon.

Shane Whitlock

Can you put me down with two boys.

Clipper

Sign me up and one 16 year old grandson. Do we need to pay in advance or at the hunt?

AllAmerican

Put me in for 2 adults $60.00 check made out to TBG? What if we get a ice storm?

jerry russell

Equipment update...

No broadheads on this shoot. Safety is the biggest concern but also a broadhead arrow WILL get lost on every shot. The best arrow set up is a very brightly fletched flu flu with a field point backed by a Slocker small game head. A pink arrow wrap and pink fletch is the best color and then write your name on the wrap with a sharpie.

Remember, you will be shooting at flying birds too so a regularly fletched arrow will be history in many cases.

I highly recommend Paul at P&A archery for this set up. He has provided arrows for these shoot before. Call him well in advance so he gets to you in time. 404-456-3258.

For those that have not done this type of shoot before, this is how it goes...
We will advance through a brushy field and the birds will be running fast. Arrows will be flying from several people and after misses you will advance and grab ANY arrow and fling it too. At the end of the push, arrows are recovered and returned to the owners. It is crazy fast paced and you will laugh the entire time.

Todd Cook

Put me in for 2 adults $60.00 check made out to TBG? What if we get a ice storm?

We're gonna hope like heck that we don't. :) All kidding aside, the setup for the central zone shoot will be the weekend before, and the central zone shoot will be the weekend after. So unless the weather is unsafe, we'll do it.