TC Contender 357 Herret ?

GregoryB.

Thread starter #1
Just wondering if any one uses the 357 Herret ? Working a possible trade for a TC Custom Shop 16 inch 357 Herret barrel . Comes with pre-formed brass. I do reload and I know Buffalo Arms loads it as well.

rosewood

From my reading, the 357 Herret shines in the 10" barrel. In a 16", you probably did the right thing sticking with the 35 remington.

Rosewood

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I load a .357 dia 170 grain Sierra Jacketed Hollow Core in my 35 Remington contender barrel.
I guess it out runs all other 357 bullets fired from any Contender platform.
I haven't looked at my load data in several years, but I think it is loaded with a cartridge full of H-110 or W-760.

rosewood

You sure about that? I don't think H110 is a powder to be used in 35 Remington. It is too fast for such a large rifle cartridge I believe. I don't recall ever seeing load data for H110 in the 35 Rem. Now, in the 357 max, 357 mag, it is the powder of choice. However, H110 is a common powder for 357 Herrett.

Rosewood

1eyefishing

I'm NOT sure, like I said maybe a different rifle powder. I loaded up more than enough for 10 years hunting 10 years ago and still have more than enough. I'll have to go digging in some old records to see what I did with that... Will try to back answer back on this thread when I do...
But still the 357 bullet can be loaded in your 35 Remington contender. I think it is better designed to open up at those velocities than a normal 35 Remington rifle bullet. Have had several no exit (all those DRT). Lost one deer with a rifle bullet hole poke thru, but never lost one with the handgun bullet.:cheers:

PS- use a heavy .357 bullet!

1eyefishing

Found it...
40.0grains 748. (old Lyman manual in the Contender section in the rear; but it lists a 170gr rifle bullet)
Same powder I use in my Contender 30/30 load. (40.6g with 125g ballistic tip.

I knew it had something in common with another similar Contender cartridge but I forgot the details.:flag:
I do use the H 110 in my 357 and 41 magnum.:bounce:

1eyefishing

Wow...
Checking on some data now.
The 1600+ fps with the 170 grain bullet is 100 to 150 fps SLOWER than the 357 herrett with same bullet and half the powder! Who'da thunk it?

Win1917

Although I no longer have a 357 Herrett, I mostly shot 180 XTP's maxed out with H4198. Not fantastic accuracy but good enough for hunting although before I sold it I was shooting some milder loads with 4227 and accuracy was better and a fair bit less velocity.