TC or CVA

bowman77

I am wanting to buy a new muzzleloader and can't choose what one to buy. Can you guys and gals give me some pros and cons on the two ML.

Which is the best shooter?

I am looking a the:

1. TC Omega Z5

2. CVA Optima 209 Mag.

hawgrider1200

I won't buy another CVA gun. I bought one my first muzzleloader in 1986 it was a CVA. The gun got where it would not bust a percussion cap with less than 100 rounds fired through it. I took it to a gunsmith who said the sear was worn out. I also found out that CVA guns are not made in America. I bought a TC Renegade about 1987 have shot hundreds of rounds through it and never had a bit of trouble. If those two guns are the only options I'd go with the Omega.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
never owned or shot that exact CVA. but did own and shoot on in the past without issue. was good for the money.

that being said the triumph is GREAT and if I had the choice between the 2 it would be the TC. shoots great and cleans easily

GC1

I have the TC Omega Z5 and love it! It is very accurate! Seems to be built well and has a good ram rod.
Haven't shot the optima, but have shot the wolf and a few others. Thier quality isn't as good as the TC (cheap sights is one thing that stood out). But, I've killed deer with those too......

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
TC anytime, if you have a problem they will make it right. CVA "not so much!"

killitgrillit

Buy a Savage 10ml smokeless muzzleloader, will out shoot both the T/C and CVA.
Absolutly no clean up at all,
Alot cheaper to shoot

bowman77

I have the TC Omega Z5 and love it! It is very accurate! Seems to be built well and has a good ram rod.
Haven't shot the optima, but have shot the wolf and a few others. Thier quality isn't as good as the TC (cheap sights is one thing that stood out). But, I've killed deer with those too......

What are you shooting out of yours. Load and charge.

Thanks for the info guys.

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
Guns of Yesteryear up in Tunnel Hill (between Dalton and Ringgold) is a fairly unique gunstore in GA in that it specializes in black powder. I once asked the owner if he sold CVA guns. His sharp response was "I sell parts for them." :bounce:

That told me what I needed to know.

WPTC

Banned
I got the mossyoak/stainless CVA Optima Pro Mag in a 45 caliber....I love it.
Its nothing to shoot them 200 yards away.:D
Awesome gun:cool: Buy a scope for it.

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
there sure is some hatin' for the cva's , but mine has served me well for many years and has 30 or 40 critters to it's credit. i like the looks of the tc's, and own a grey hawk sidelock and 2 hawken styles, but they were all bought used. i am an equal opportunity smokepole shooter, i like them all till they cause me problems and my optima has been put through the ringer and has not failed me yet.

ETK

Tc encore 50 caliber stainless has been great to me. Easy to clean and extremely accurate. 150 grains tripple sevens with tc shockwave 245 xtp sabots. 1/2 inch group at 150 yards with a leupold scope. Added feature is i have a 7mm mag barrell so the gun serves two purposes. Good luck.