TC Pro Hunter accuracy question

pcsolutions1

I read one older thread where people were talking about poor accuracy from the TC's. I'm really amazed that most said that their BP barrels were superbly accurate, but had issues with the centerfire barrels. I saw that Bergara barrels was now making TC barrels and they guarantee better accuracy than factory barrels. I'm sure some others make them as well. Anybody have any experience with aftermarket barrels and find them more accurate. I find myself really wanting to buy one of those guns because I'm a lefty and I like the way they work from both sides so easily. I do not want one though if accuracy will be iffy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

this would be the first that i have heard bout accuracy issues with the tc??? from everyone i know it has been nothing short of a great gun

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod
Like every rifle there are those that just don't shoot well. Most of them will be at least MOA with the right loads. Some will not.

I have found that most of the people who gripe the loudest couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if they were standing inside it, even if they had a custom built rifle.

The Bergara barrels are made in Spain using blanks supposedly built to Shilen specs. I cannot comment on whether they are more accurate than factory barrels or not. If you are in doubt, just go with one of the custom barrel makers such as MGM, SSK, Bullberry or OTT. Every one of them will shoot well.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Like every rifle there are those that just don't shoot well. Most of them will be at least MOA with the right loads. Some will not.

I have found that most of the people who gripe the loudest couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if they were standing inside it, even if they had a custom built rifle.

The Bergara barrels are made in Spain using blanks supposedly built to Shilen specs. I cannot comment on whether they are more accurate than factory barrels or not. If you are in doubt, just go with one of the custom barrel makers such as MGM, SSK, Bullberry or OTT. Every one of them will shoot well.

I happen to be able to shoot a little better than you stated above.:bounce: I have owned one TC Encore and had a ML and 30/06 when I bought it. The accuracy on the ML was fine but the 30/06 was a 2-2.5 inch barrel regardless of ammunition. To make a long story short............I went through 3 barrels before finally buying a HEAVY 7RM barrel that would shoot MOA with Federal Fusion ammo. I then sold the entire set up to a friend and bought 2 bolt guns with the money.........Personally.....I would find and buy a lefty bolt rifle and be done......You should be able to get a Remington SPS or Ruger and have a good chunk of money left over to put toward optics for what the Encore will cost. Just my opinion.

Robert

fishtail

Unless I've missed it in the posts somewhere, there is no mention of twist rates and suggested bullets per caliber (per barrel manufacturer).
Heavy bullets and a slow twist rate will not allow bullets to stabilize = poor grouping.
I do know that The NEF Handirifle in a .223 (12" twist) doesn't like anything heavier than a 65gr. And a Weatherby in a 12" twist in 7mm mag dosen't like anything over 170gr.

Last edited:

deadend

Everybody I know that has bought one in centerfire has unloaded it after a year or so and got back into a bolt gun. All of them have tried more than one barrel and many little tricks such as oversized hinge pins and forearm bedding. 2 guys I know of had headspace issues with factory barrels and had to send them back. Another problem I've heard of is light hammer strike resulting in misfires. They are way overpriced IMO for what they are. $700 can get me into a new Ruger with a Bushnell 3200 on top. The barrels are 3-400$ each and you still have to put a scope on each one. The savings is just not there for me considering what you may end up with.

dchfm123

I have one and have had no issues with accuracy. I have 3 different barrels and all shoot fine. the big issue with them is that because of the firing system, hammer to fireing pin there is a longer time between when the trigger is pulled and the pin striking the primer. I know it is only a miliseconds difference but that is all it takes. This effects the accuracy because it allows the shooter to pull the shot even more than in a bolt action. You have to ba absolutly steady and squeeze the trigger not pull it. Its all in the trigger control with these guns. Like I said all of mine shoot MOA groups at 100 yards. Also, all my barrels cost 240 - 290 bucks not 300-400. Not sure where you got those numbers.

CAL

I have an Encore in 204 Ruger.Wouldn't want a gun to shoot better than mine.I did have to change the hinge pin to .001 oversize and bed the forearm but I never have seen any gun shoot it's very best out of the box without having to do a little tweaking to make it perform.
I have loaded for a lots of cal. rifles and have never seen a rifle that wouldn't perform when the proper speed powder and the proper weight bullet were used.Ya have to reload to get this too most times.

pcsolutions1

I did get some interesting info from TC today. They told me that the standard barrels are just tested individually for function. If I order one from the custom shop, they will test for accuracy and will not ship it unless it shoots MOA or better.

Tom

deadend

I did get some interesting info from TC today. They told me that the standard barrels are just tested individually for function. If I order one from the custom shop, they will test for accuracy and will not ship it unless it shoots MOA or better.

Tom

The standard ss prohunters are about $700+ from what I've seen. How much are the custom guns? Add a scope and you are over a grand for an ugly single shot.:smash:

mcagle

My encore has always shot well. I only hunt with it in the woods or where shots are 150 max. When I'm going to shoot further I always carry a bolt gun. I guess its just where your confidence is at.