Teaching a bunch of 1st graders tomorrow

ssramage

Instead of heading to a deer stand on my holiday off tomorrow, I'm heading to teach a bunch of 1st graders. My son's class has been learning about animal tracks and behaviors and I've been invited as guest speaker to co-teach with my son (who is an expert from his many years in the outdoors :ROFLMAO: ). Our kids attend a small Christian private school so I'll be weaving in our family's philosophy on conservation through the basis of Genesis 1:26-28.

I've got my props all ready to go!IMG_8666.jpeg

ssramage

That is so cool.
Your son will always remember it!
I actually did the same thing for my older son when he was in the same teacher's class 4 years ago. Last year one of the other dad's in his class came for career day to talk about his career in the FBI. I was no longer cool because I "just make peanut butter". I'm glad at least one of my kids still thinks I'm cool enough to come for show and tell. :ROFLMAO:

BowSniper

I bet it's going to be awesome. Good luck!!!

BowSniper

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
A bunch of us would like to be there. Good job!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I actually did the same thing for my older son when he was in the same teacher's class 4 years ago. Last year one of the other dad's in his class came for career day to talk about his career in the FBI. I was no longer cool because I "just make peanut butter". I'm glad at least one of my kids still thinks I'm cool enough to come for show and tell. :ROFLMAO:
Thats an awesome thing you’re doing, even if you only make peanut butter. :bounce:

ssramage

Thanks for taking the time to do that.! It may light a Spark in some of those kids to get Outdoors more.!
I really hope so.

A little bit of a rant... We live down on St. Simons Island, a relatively privileged part of the state. A lot of these kids very rarely get outside, really outside. It's sort of sad that I have other moms in our school/community looking to me and asking me to teach their sons to be men, while they and their soft husbands spend their time on the golf course or at bougie social events. They all want to know how I learned these skills, or how to teach them. When I share with them that I "had to", they don't understand. Growing up we didn't have much. We fixed what was broken and deer seasons had a family quota necessary for limiting my single dad's grocery bill with 2 teenage boys at home. It was life and we learned out of necessity.

My wife is a middle school teacher at this school and she sees it play out as the kids get older as well. She's begged me to teach a middle school elective on "manhood"... using tools, changing tires, self sufficiency, etc. She sees an entire generation of soft young men being raised without a clue. From the dawn of man, there have been hunters (protectors/providers) and gatherers. It's not my fault that these women married the gatherers... I'm afraid we need some hard times to course correct.

Rant over... I'm really looking forward to teaching the class. I've got lots of things for show and tell, and a bunch of things to make noise and cause a ruckus in the school for the other teachers/headmaster. The kids will have a blast!

BowSniper

I really hope so.

A little bit of a rant... We live down on St. Simons Island, a relatively privileged part of the state. A lot of these kids very rarely get outside, really outside. It's sort of sad that I have other moms in our school/community looking to me and asking me to teach their sons to be men, while they and their soft husbands spend their time on the golf course or at bougie social events. They all want to know how I learned these skills, or how to teach them. When I share with them that I "had to", they don't understand. Growing up we didn't have much. We fixed what was broken and deer seasons had a family quota necessary for limiting my single dad's grocery bill with 2 teenage boys at home. It was life and we learned out of necessity.

My wife is a middle school teacher at this school and she sees it play out as the kids get older as well. She's begged me to teach a middle school elective on "manhood"... using tools, changing tires, self sufficiency, etc. She sees an entire generation of soft young men being raised without a clue. From the dawn of man, there have been hunters (protectors/providers) and gatherers. It's not my fault that these women married the gatherers... I'm afraid we need some hard times to course correct.

Rant over... I'm really looking forward to teaching the class. I've got lots of things for show and tell, and a bunch of things to make noise and cause a ruckus in the school for the other teachers/headmaster. The kids will have a blast!

Well said and i agree 100%. Now go learn them kids something!

BowSniper

ssramage

Kids had a great time today and maybe learned a few things. What was planned as a 15 min lesson turned into 45 minutes. And I even made it to the hunting club in time for an afternoon sit. (y)