Team #4 "Peeping Toms"

Pigslayer

I'm excited now, the guy who does some bush hog work for me on our oglethorpe property called me tonight to say the birds are going nuts every morning this week. He has been fixing our roads and said they are very vocal all the way till lunch.

aj.hiner

Alright fellas its on like donkey Kong tomorrow.. good luck to all of you guys hope to send and receive some pics tomorrow..

TurkeyBird

Good luck this weekend fellas! Nothing to report from my way this morning! The gobbling was very slow and only heard a couple very distant gobbles at that. A few birds did hit the dirt this morning, so you never know when your turn will come. Since the action is slow, I'm sitting in a ground blind this afternoon with bow in hand! Hopefully the Mathews can find something to chew on today! We shall see!

TurkeyBird

Eddie added a thread stating that cloth tapes are NOT allowed for bonus points during the contest. Just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of that.

Update for Sunday morning: Gobbling was pretty good on the roost, but it was obvious that the hens were everywhere! Got as close as we could to setup and had a coyote come thru. I don't think it really affected anything at this point but idk. We didn't get a good shot so we let him go. Had a couple hens that flew down beside us and took off toward the gobblers. I figured at that point it was game over, but after 15 minutes, I hear yelping and here comes more hens. At this point, the gobblers have gone quiet, and I'm thinking here comes the whole flock. I make some soft yelps and here they come on a string! Well, turns out it was a couple hens and 3 jakes! The bigger group with the longbeards never showed. Got on another gobbler late morning in a food plot with some hens. Set up on the road/foodplot and tried to soft call and work them down the road. Well it started raining and they eased into the timber and moved off to our right at about 40 yds with no shot opportunities! Oh well, great weekend in the woods! Better luck to come this weekend hopefully!

aj.hiner

This is crazy ain't heard a gobble yet..saw 8 hens in 3 days..in the mtns they just aren't turned on yet..still got plenty of time and it will happen just frustrating

aj.hiner

Heard 3 gobbling this morning on the roost..saw 2 of them pitch down...I sat for an hour slowly calling and being patient..eased all around where they flew down and not a peep or sightings.. I didn't wanna push it and I know where they are roosting now so I backed out when the wind hit..I'll be back on the tom afternoon

TurkeyBird

Good luck AJ! Man I'm ready to get back in the woods! Back at it on Friday but the weather is not looking great, supposed to rain. Hopefully I can make the best out of it. I think the hunting in my area will start to get good the first week of April. It is supposed to be warm all that week, so Spring should be kicking! What's everyone else doing?? Y'all are quiet!!

hunter63john

Went Saturday and had a bird that kept answering on the roost a long ways away. We made a move and got up on him after he hit the ground, then a pack of wild dogs came threw and never heard or saw another thing.

I went to set out a hog cage today on our land and as I turned around there was a group of 15 to 20 turkey with most of them being gobblers. I have to say that the last bird to go into the woods made my jaw drop. He was a monster. I backed out and plan to try to find him maybe tomorrow afternoon.

TurkeyBird

That is good news hunter. Stay after them! Hopefully we can put a bird on the ground this weekend! Rain or shine, I can't wait to get after them this weekend!

aj.hiner

Called on up on fly down this morning..did a y down cackle he hammered..then got not 50 yds closer and hammered again..I heard sticks snapping as I was watching the tree line and at 30 yds I see the top of his fan and then just the top half of his head..I needed literally 2-3 steps...he turned back after he didn't see what he was looking for and walked back down the ridge then hammered again at the bottom. So frustrating mam about as close as you can get...

TurkeyBird

Alright boys, we finally have a kill posted up in the kill thread! Check out the photos are make sure they look good. We have 24 hours to edit them. I also posted the beard into the longest beard competition. It's time to get this party started and put some more birds on the ground! I hope everyone had a good weekend and had the opportunity to get out and hunt. I wish I could hunt all week as the weather looks awesome!

aj.hiner

Put my buddy on one this morning had 10 birds at least hammering and a lone gobbler came in drumming in and out of strut and.......he missed at 35 yds..finally got some fired up though

TurkeyBird

Sounds like an awesome hunt AJ! The most I have heard this season has been 4 and I was pretty dang excited about that! It sounds like the hunting up your way is starting to heat up! I hope this beautiful weather holds out through this weekend. I have a buddy coming to hunt all weekend and there will be many hours spent in the woods. Hopefully, we can put down another longbeard or two!

Got your text AJ. I will try to post up an additional beard pic this morning. It certainly won't hurt anything....the more info the better. I looked at some of the kill thread pics yesterday and most of the bonus pics are hard to see anyway without zooming in.

aj.hiner

Lol congrats on your bird brother..I've been putting family and friends on birds now its time to get selfish and put some down!!!

TurkeyBird

We hunted hard this weekend, Friday thru Sunday. After several tuff days, I was finally able to put my buddy on a bird Sunday morning. It seemed like the weekend would be a complete bust, but we stayed at it and finally got an opportunity to make something happen!

We got all the points for my bird 1 entry. Please note that many birds are being DQ'd and bonus points are being lost. The judges are being more strict this year because of issues from the past. Make sure that you read the rules and understand the requirements before getting your pictures. Pictures must be clear, measurements visible, and it must be obvious that the beard/spurs are attached to the bird. Please check with the teamates to ensure your pictures are good.

I hope everyone is still hunting! Our team thread has been quiet! Good luck to everyone hunting this week. :cool:

Attachments

• kyle.JPG
    kyle.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 281

hunter63john

I have seen birds every time I have gone out, but I cannot seem to get the people with me to pull the trigger. The birds are still not participating yet in this whole turkey season thing. Still not gobbling at all at our property but have seen a ton of birds. I am tired of belly crawling and will be glad when they start coming to me. I am hoping this weekend they will be fired up.

TurkeyBird

Stay after them Hunter! The birds should get fired up in the next couple of weeks. They are about to get going in my area. All you can do is stay persistent and good things tend to happen!