Telescoping ladder stand

Blackston

How many dollars ? is 249 euros ?

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Sounds great but you still must climb a ladder stand to the top BEFORE you can strap the top.
Might as well sit the ground and be quiet or use a climber at 10 feet.

bubbafowler

It's 8 ft. I can strap an 8 ft ladder down from the ground. We have 2 homemade ones. Just roll a log or rock up.

Jim Boyd

Ingenious idea.

Someone with their thinking cap on invented that.

Sounds pricey but a great concept.

shdw633

Mr. Jim i'm pretty sure you're plenty smart enough to make one from one of these. View attachment 962426
Problem with these types of ladders is they are very heavy. Even the one shown by the OP weighs in at over 30 pounds. That's pretty stout for having to pack in any kind of distance. Most likely why it only got 3 stars.

bubbafowler

Problem with these types of ladders is they are very heavy. Even the one shown by the OP weighs in at over 30 pounds. That's pretty stout for having to pack in any kind of distance. Most likely why it only got 3 stars.
Summit climber classic weighs 30 lbs. I lugged those for years. Most did or even heavier

shdw633

Summit climber classic weighs 30 lbs. I lugged those for years. Most did or even heavier

We also used wheel compound bows that weighed a ton and aluminum arrows back in the day but we don't have to do that anymore due to the advances in technology and materials used. We have climbers now that don't weigh much more than 10 pounds, some even less. So why would you lug a 30 plus pound ladder to get 8 foot up a tree?

shdw633

What climber weighs less than 10lbs???

X-stand Mini X-1 climber....They advertise it 8.5 pounds but after you add the seat and all it actually comes in at 11 pounds I believe.

Hillbilly stalker

I have a 7 1/2 foot ladder stand made from 3/4 & 1/2 inch conduit. It weighs nearly nothing. I flip it over and use it for a deer cart on the way out. I stand on the ground and fasten it to a tree. Works great in them spots where big boys hide and no big trees are available . It doesn't rattle and doesn't collapse . That might be a option for you.

shdw633

I have a 7 1/2 foot ladder stand made from 3/4 & 1/2 inch conduit. It weighs nearly nothing. I flip it over and use it for a deer cart on the way out. I stand on the ground and fasten it to a tree. Works great in them spots where big boys hide and no big trees are available . It doesn't rattle and doesn't collapse . That might be a option for you.

I have a Summit Predator Pod tripod that I use when I have that situation. Weighs just under 40 pounds (similar to the Millenium 300 Tripod that comes in at 36 pounds) and has a height of 9 feet. I am going to put some wheels on it in order to be able to get it in and out easier. Lugging something roughly the size of a bag of corn isn't that hard....until you got a long distance to tote it in, then it's horrible!!

Mark K

Banned
X-stand Mini X-1 climber....They advertise it 8.5 pounds but after you add the seat and all it actually comes in at 11 pounds I believe.
Nice stand, but he mentioned for his father who was getting “older”. In fact reading the dimensions I’m not to sure I’d want to get too high in it myself. Strictly arm climbing as well, which wouldn’t be an issue. But that little platform with no rest is not for me, lol. Had enough of the Baker Stands in my younger years!

shdw633

Nice stand, but he mentioned for his father who was getting “older”. In fact reading the dimensions I’m not to sure I’d want to get too high in it myself. Strictly arm climbing as well, which wouldn’t be an issue. But that little platform with no rest is not for me, lol. Had enough of the Baker Stands in my younger years!

I agree with what you're saying and I would not want that stand at my age, I was simply pointing out that at roughly $280 and nearly 30 pounds just to get up 8 feet could be accomplished at a lot less weight for that kind of money, whether it be 8.5 pounds or 16 pounds it's still alot lighter to get around with.

Jim Boyd

Mr. Jim i'm pretty sure you're plenty smart enough to make one from one of these.

Bubba,

Could easily accomplish this but that is not nearly tall enough for me.

I generally like to be 18-25’ up.

If faced with a height of around 8’, I would probably choose a ground blind instead.

That said, I have hunted from my climber at heights as low as 6’ before. I rarely use a climber any more, as I am in the senior circuit also.

I have had and used ladder stands in the past that were no more than 10’ tall but that was back during my firearm days.

Also, comfort is king for me. I like a wide seat, distance from the tree and a foot rest these days.

I am also fortunate as in my hunting (850 ac SC / 500 ac IL) my longest walk is only about 800 meters and most of the stands are already positioned. Think there are about 40-45 or so??

For an older gentleman, I see absolutely no issue with a lower, easy to move ladder, particularly if he is hunting with a firearm.

More and more, I am starting to think ground blind also. Just purchased one more to take to IL, which takes that total to 3.

Good luck!

bubbafowler

I get high normally too. But 20 years ago daddy fell 20 ft back before safety lines while climbing and he doesn't get very high anymore. You'd be amazed what he does from 8 ft. Ground blinds on a 3 day hunt on public lands don't work as well. We do have an 8 ft I plan to modify with wheels, but he would buy this stand in a heartbeat if he could, even to only use once a year. He just feels more comfortable off the ground but doesn't have to be high.