Tell me about a BOSS.

Laman

Using some type of weighted barrel tuner to fine tune loads is a proven concept. You won't fine many competitive benchrest shooters without one now days, no gimmick they work. Now whether they are worth it on a hunting rifle is up to you, they do require more shooting to test the "sweet spot" and each rifle probably has bullet/powder combinations it just won't shoot, tuner or not.
I had one of the early A-bolts with the boss the first year they were introduced, yes it was loud but when I replaced the brake type boss with the non-ported the report was normal 30-06 levels. I wish I could say that I used the boss to its full advantage but after only one adjustment the rifle was a solid 3/4 shooter so for my hunting it was perfectly adequate. I sold the rifle because for me it had the absolute worst fitting stock, felt like I was carrying a 2x6 in the woods!

Lilly001

If the price is right, I'd just unscrew the Boss and toss it in the drawer.

Cutting off a barrel and re-crowning is as simple as a hack saw a file and a Brownell's crowing tool.
You can buy thread protectors that just screw on.
You might have to search for one because it's a unique thread but I have seen them on specialty sights.

spencer12

No input on your question, but I will comment on Barrow guns. Last season I was in the market for a new rifle. I wanted a left handed Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .308. I called probably 15 gun shops, and not a single one had anything left handed. I called Barrows and asked if they had any left handed Brownings in stock. To my surprise the answer I got was what model and caliber do you want we've got plenty in stock. I drove 2.5 hours to get there and when I purchase another firearm I'm going back. Great shop and service.

(sorry for the off topic just a nod to Barrows)