Tent Air Conditioner

SWAMPFOX

I plan to do some camping with my grandkids but it's gonna have to be late July/August and in Florida due to their schedules. So I'm thinking that for their comfort and mine to get a tent air conditioner.

I will be using an 9'x12' outfitter canvas wall tent.

Anyone here got a suggestion about a tent AC...good 'un, bad 'un...indifferent?

Thanks.

CAnderson

Tried the DIY route before. It worked, but created an indoor rainfall from the condensation on the inside of the tent walls. Just something to consider.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
This ought to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Global-Air-G...-2&keywords=5000+btu+portable+air+conditioner

I know it would be worth it for me. Can't sleep worth anything in 70+ degrees, I like it cold or I'm tossing and turning all night. that's why I camp in the mountains by moving water.

Home Depot also carries those and if you have an e-port on your tent you could make good use of one in a larger tent.

This is the smallest one I found on their site.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Haier-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-HPB08XCM/300013684

660griz

Just got back from a camping trip in Florida. Young couple next to us was tent camping. They had a window A/C unit and they said it worked great. Just remember to not put the entire unit inside. :)

95g atl

2nd on the window A/C. There are many YouTube videos of how it is done properly. And you can get a window A/C unit for just over a $100 at most box stores on sale.

T-N-T

I have friends who will camp with us in a few weeks who use a $100 window unit in the side of their tent.
Places on a big plastic tub that they use to transport their gear. Bungee cord wrapped around the unit to hold the fabric in place.

They tell me that blankets are NEEDED whit this setup in summer.

T-N-T

Also on a side note.
Last year the first night with the windw unit setup, they closed the tent up tight. It did "ok" but the tent was pressurized due to water tight fabric.

The second night, they opened a zipper on the window and left the bug net closed. This dramatically improved the cooling

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

3ringer

Just a note, some Campgrounds frown on this. A Buddy did this down at West Point lake. A ranger came by and made him take it down. Maybe you should turn the tent so the ac can't be seen from the road just in case. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Other options is to rent a RV. Some campgrounds have Yurts I believe they are called. They are souped up teepees . At Fort Desoto in Florida, a rental company will set you up a tent on stilts with a ac. I found a nice popup with ac on FB for 800 bucks. I sold it for 2700. Good deals come along sometime.

3ringer

Here you go

Attachments

• IMG_0259.JPG
    IMG_0259.JPG
    244.1 KB · Views: 1,058

95g atl

your other option is to get a PORTABLE A/C and run the vent tube out the window or front. they cannot be seen from the outside.
However, they do cost a bit more. Around $300 give or take.

boatbuilder

It won't help the kids but you can fill a cooler full of cold adult beverages and if you drink enough cold adult beverages you won't need an ac.

If you can find a campsite on the water with a breeze it will be comfortable at night.

The kids will be fine. Camping in the heat builds character.

660griz

Camping in the heat builds character.

I must have a ton. :)

The house where I grew up in Dublin, GA, didn't have A/C. Camping provided a little relief. :)

DEERFU

Just got back from a camping trip in Florida. Young couple next to us was tent camping. They had a window A/C unit and they said it worked great. Just remember to not put the entire unit inside. :)

Done this many times in the Florida heat. Tilt it away from the tent so it will drain and zip the door up around it. Works like a charm. I built a small stand out of 2x4's to sit it on and the tilt was built it. Happy Camping when you can sleep comfy

jeardley

I tried a portable A/C as linked above for the first time camping in FL about a 1-1/2 months ago and it was a game changer for us. Got down to 64 at night in a 12 man tent (The canvas should do better). If you site doesn't have any/much shade I would suggest stringing a tarp above the tent or maybe a portable canopy. For us when the sun was bearing down the A/C struggled to keep it cool. Still knocked the edge off but it probably would've made a big difference. We never really spent time in the tent during the day, but the kids may want a nap after wearing themselves out.

red neck richie

I plan to do some camping with my grandkids but it's gonna have to be late July/August and in Florida due to their schedules. So I'm thinking that for their comfort and mine to get a tent air conditioner.

I will be using an 9'x12' outfitter canvas wall tent.

Anyone here got a suggestion about a tent AC...good 'un, bad 'un...indifferent?

Thanks.

Don't go camping stay at a hotel would be my first suggestion. If you decide to camp and get hot jump in a lake or pond or creek or river or ocean camp near water. No offense but yall sound like a bunch of yuppie city slickers. Pitch your tent under some shade trees.

Last edited:

T-N-T

Don't go camping stay at a hotel would be my first suggestion. If you decide to camp and get hot jump in a lake or pond or creek or river or ocean camp near water. No offense but yall sound like a bunch of yuppie city slickers. Pitch your tent under some shade trees.

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

Welcome to the thread. Glad to have you.

Latest posts