Textured ceiling drywall replacement cost

merc123

I had a drain leak upstairs and the plumber had to cut an access hole in the downstairs ceiling.

It looks like they would probably have to replace the entire sheet of drywall since it's water soaked. What would be the average cost of this plus re-doing the textured ceiling part? I will paint it on my own.

Any tips for hiring someone to do it?

Rip Steele

About $75 probably. The sheet of sheetrock is $12 if you do it yourself

merc123

It's going to be done under my home warranty. They are just going to send me the money so I was curious. Guess the hardest part will be trying to get the textured ceiling done right.

bany

I would think most guys will be around $150.00.
YOU can buy that brush at the box or paint store, the web will show you how to do it.

greg_n_clayton

I would say it will be hard to do a small area and make it look the same as the existing. Might need to plan on redoing the whole ceiling !!

merc123

They are going to give me $95 to "rough patch" a 1'x2' patch. I think I'm going to do it with a friend of mine (he has done it for construction jobs) and he knows someone that can do the texturing or the whole thing. Probably replace 2 panels. Hopefully he is good enough to blend it good.

Such a pain owning your own house.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
They are going to give me $95 to "rough patch" a 1'x2' patch. I think I'm going to do it with a friend of mine (he has done it for construction jobs) and he knows someone that can do the texturing or the whole thing. Probably replace 2 panels. Hopefully he is good enough to blend it good.

Such a pain owning your own house.

Ok, so since you are doing it yourself anyway. Perhaps you should look into replacing the entire ceiling, if there isn't too much of it. You would then be in a position of upgrading any light fixtures and/or just finish with a Smooth ceiling.......Depends on the situation of course, but worth looking into.;)

merc123

It would be a lot. 1500 square feet of it.

I'm thinking if maybe I could remodel that are (breakfast nook) to cover it all up anyway.

Cabin creek man

Its really tough to match up stipple cielings since the brush that did the original is no longer around. The brush your gonna use is going to be a different size and texture unless you get some kinda unreal lucky.

swamp hunter

Frame it up, and build an access door. Paint it white, then press the Staples "Easy" button. Done.

This will work fine .
Real hard to match someone elses Texture job .
Then your Repaint unless you have the orginal paint ain't gonna match either. Might have to repaint the entire ceiling.
Ceiling White is the most common color.

burkehunter

as others have said, it is almost impossible to match texture of any kind even if you repaint the ceiling, which your going to have to do. I would take all texture down and paint flat ceiling unless you like texture.

kasey

Matching stipling to the exact pattern is an extremely difficult things to do. There are so many variables to consider such as the type of brush the original applicator used, the consistency of the mud, as well as the size/type of roller nap. There have been dozen 's of makes, manufacturers, sizes and shapes of brushes over the years. I have done quiet a few, and I used to carry about 8-10 different brushes. Also, the age of the original brush is also a factor and sometimes I had to flatten or remove some of the "hairs " to duplicate. It is also important to sand the existing stiple smooth around the replaced drywall,usually to the next brush pattern. I made a lot of people satisfied but I never felt it was perfect.

Cabin creek man

Why not just get a filter grill put a piece of dark painted cardboard in it and close it up then when you get another leak you just open and fix and the grill looks like it belongs anyway.