Thanksgiving Wild Turkey Pot Pie

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
With the kids staying in DC and Brooklyn, we didn’t travel over Thanksgiving and had a quiet, low-key holiday. We didn’t go overboard with a typical Thanksgiving feast; I decided to cook a wild turkey breast filet, chanterelles, carrots, peas, parsnips, potatoes, onion, celery into a pot pie. I used two 4 oz. bags of chants I previously cooked in butter and olive oil and froze last month. Fresh thyme was used as a seasoning. I cut the breast into small nuggets and sauted them in the chanterelle olive oil and butter with the chants held aside. Nothing was out of a can. The pie shell was by Pillsbury and fixins simmered with chicken broth until done. I used a quart of frozen broth from a chicken I cooked months earlier in a slow cooker. After the vegetables cooked, the turkey and mushrooms were added. I whisked 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to a bowl with a 1/3 of cup of cold water which I added to fixins and brought mix to a boil for a minute or two until mixture thickened. The fixins stiffened up a little too thick so I continued to “cut” the mix with broth and whole milk. After ladling fixins into pie pan and covered with crust, I cooked the pie at 425 F for 45 minutes until the crust browned. I had enough fixins to stuff two 9” pies and froze one for the future. It turned out well, and the two of us made two meals out of one pie for two days. I adapted several recipes found on the net. Gil

IMG_20161124_184822507_zpsi4gio68i.jpg

IMG_20161124_184942086_zps7ufh8h7e.jpg

Last edited:

Gaswamp

yummy

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I bet that was really good, and it looks like the ones Mama used to make when I was a youngun. She used all homegrown vegetables in hers too, with the thighs and drumstick meat off our birds. I`ve been meaning to try one myself. You`ve inspired me, Gil.

I also want to thank you again for your recipe on how to put up and freeze chants. I`ve got a few packs put up, and ready to go with a mess of quail, and maybe a few woodcock.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Nick, Joe, thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. I have picked up useful tips from both of you over the years. Nick, you can send me your grand dad’s turkey call anytime you want. ;)
Pillsbury had a recipe on the net. Google turkey pot pie. I also found a recipe for chicken and chanterelles pot pie. Just google chicken pot pie chanterelles. The thickening method with cornstarch is in the chicken and chant pot pie recipe. It is easy.
I am going to save some quail this season for this quail and chanterelle pie recipe and hope to get a pile of chants next June. This looks fabulous. The recipe is in this article:
http://www.savannahmagazine.com/?s=chanterelle
Gil

Toddmann

Looks delicious Gil. May have to give that a try.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nick, Joe, thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated. I have picked up useful tips from both of you over the years. Nick, you can send me your grand dad’s turkey call anytime you want. ;)
Pillsbury had a recipe on the net. Google turkey pot pie. I also found a recipe for chicken and chanterelles pot pie. Just google chicken pot pie chanterelles. The thickening method with cornstarch is in the chicken and chant pot pie recipe. It is easy.
I am going to save some quail this season for this quail and chanterelle pie recipe and hope to get a pile of chants next June. This looks fabulous. The recipe is in this article:
http://www.savannahmagazine.com/?s=chanterelle
Gil

:cheers:

chefrific

Looks great. One of my favorite things to do with the dark meat.