That Time Of The Year.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I assure you the cravings are thrown by Nicodemus and none other.

My chili game consisted of Carroll Shelby's chili mix and some of his suggested additions. That's all I had.

I loved what he did with my beloved Ford Mustang.......so I figured his chili was good enough. :rofl:

I've tried a pile of other mixes, recipes and such.

Nothing comes close to Nicodemus's chili recipe. It delivers a well balanced pot that you can proudly serve. Folks that want more heat can shake it from a bottle of habanero sauce or such. Well balanced and tastes wonderful.

It is the only way I make chili now.......except for hot dog chili (that's a different monster).
Hard to believe that a chicken rancher (C.S.) could come up with such good chili, that's where I start all the time.

Reactions: Dub

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Yup.

I quit with the C.S. mix after the first time I tried Nic's recipe.
WOW! If it's that good, how many arms and legs does a guy have to cut off to get it?;);)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
WOW! If it's that good, how many arms and legs does a guy have to cut off to get it?;);)

Here ya go. It`s a West Texas style chili. Hope you like it.

1 big onion chopped
2 poblano peppers roasted, seeded, and chopped
1 stick celery cut up
2 cloves garlic smashed
chopped fresh jalapeno peppers to taste
dab of lard

4 pounds coarse ground venison or beef
4 4 ounce cans of diced or chopped green chiles
8 tablespoons of Gebhardt brand chili powder hot sauce to taste
3 or 4 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes-drained
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
hot sauce to taste
16 ounces of water

Fry the first 5 ingredients in the lard till onion is clear. Drain and set aside.
Brown meat in big post and drain well.

Add all ingredients together in big pot and simmer for a minimum of 4 hours. The longer the simmer, the better it gets.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Here ya go. It`s a West Texas style chili. Hope you like it.

1 big onion chopped
2 poblano peppers roasted, seeded, and chopped
1 stick celery cut up
2 cloves garlic smashed
chopped fresh jalapeno peppers to taste
dab of lard

4 pounds coarse ground venison or beef
4 4 ounce cans of diced or chopped green chiles
8 tablespoons of Gebhardt brand chili powder hot sauce to taste
3 or 4 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

2 14 ounce cans diced tomatoes-drained
1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
hot sauce to taste
16 ounces of water

Fry the first 5 ingredients in the lard till onion is clear. Drain and set aside.
Brown meat in big post and drain well.

Add all ingredients together in big pot and simmer for a minimum of 4 hours. The longer the simmer, the better it gets.
Thanks, sounds yummy!

GA1dad

I'm thinking this is gonna happen today!!!!

Dub

I'm thinking this is gonna happen today!!!!

That's what I'm talking about right there !!!!!!!!

I tend to make mine in the same big pot I browned the meat in....mix it up and get everything blended in.....and pour it all into the big crockpot so it can simmer all day and fill the house with some of the best kitchen smells imaginable.

I did a pot one morning after getting home from night shift at work.....let it simmer in the crockpot while I tried to sleep. The chili smelled so good that I had trouble sleeping. :rofl:

In years past I'd made the same size batch of chili and wind up freezing at least half of it.

Since going to Nic's chili recipe that's changed....it's hard to have any leftover to get to the freezer. Son finds out it's chili-night and he'll have some pards show up for chow time. :) Funny how that works.

GA1dad

It's going. I 86'd the jalapeno's to keep the wife and daughter from complaining about the heat. I tried to find some Anaheim's to substitute, but no luck. Just got some extra large poblano's to keep the pepper notes strong. And I had to substitute chili powders,,, but it's looking good so far.

GA1dad

Oh my gosh Nic!! This is so good!!! Shame on me for not trying it sooner!! The wife and daughter went for seconds,,,,

Artfuldodger

It's going. I 86'd the jalapeno's to keep the wife and daughter from complaining about the heat. I tried to find some Anaheim's to substitute, but no luck. Just got some extra large poblano's to keep the pepper notes strong. And I had to substitute chili powders,,, but it's looking good so far.

I'd have to maybe use one pablano for my family.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Gebhardt brand chili powder, is that something you can buy locally? I do see it on amazon.

I used to buy it local, but that was back when it was sold in real glass bottles (wish I had kept a couple for keepsakes now). Now I have to order it online. I get it by the case. Since times seem to be somewhat unstable now, I generally keep two cases hid away.

Thank ya`ll for the kind words, folks.