The Army Worms got me...

Timberman

I may have to overseed everything. Depends on how much and hard this rain will be and how FAST cold weather can get here. I fear it is too late. :banginghe :(

E

early riser

Don't say that word :speechles ARMY WORMS :speechles . Sorry to hear that Timberman, your plots were looking SO GOOD last pics I remember.

Some of our plots now have gotten to be almost knee high. They would really have to do some eating to get all of that tonage, but I have heard they are devestating when in numbers. Our young plots last year took a beating from them.

Hope it works out.

Attachments

• PA301009.JPG
    PA301009.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 301

huntfish

Same Thing Here

We had the same problem in Merriweather County. Had to overseed last weekend. Those things are nasty. First impression was that someone sprayed our field with RoundUp since it was so clean.

FootLongDawg

ER...Our plots are about knee high also. Deer are just not eating them much now. Most of our plots are a mixture of oats and Yucchi clover. Can they become too tall and tough and lose thier appeal to the deer? We have really put the fertilizer and Amonium Nitrate to them.

E

early riser

They say they can/will, I have never experienced such growth in fall plantings ::huh: . Course the weatherman just this evening said this is the warmest fall he can remember, so the PRIME growing temps have lasted much longer this fall with no real colder weather to slow them down.

We have had our plots at Crabapple get up a foot or so in heighth and once we started getting regular colder weather and multiple frosts, the deer moved right in and before we knew it they had them gnawed down to ground level.

However, this extensive growth in the fall is all new to me. I think they will eat the rape no matter how big the leaves get, but the wheat and oats is something I will have to monitor. In any event, most of our knee high growth is up closer to the camp house in the above picture, while they have managed to keep the back of the field somewhat in check with browsing, even though it is much higher than I have ever seen fall plots before. In any event, I don't plan on doing a thing, but let Nature take it's course. When they get hungry and the woods are all frozen, I think the GREEN will be good to/for them.

early riser