The best ladder stand for bow hunting?

Dub

I always seem to get busted out of ladder stands while I'm bowhunting.

I suppose it's from hunting the same stand too much and leaving scent signatures in the area.

In Illinois, though, our outfitter had a bunch of them up and we'd watch deer walk right by them like it was nothing.

jbarron

BANNED
I especially love ladder stands in the early part of the season when it's so hot. The only issue is they all seem to come with the shooting rail which could be a problem while bow hunting. However, I guess you don't have to install the shooting rail. The stands you've identified are nice but IMO a bit pricey for something being left in the woods (you know how things have a way of just walking off). I've had good luck with the 15' Remington 870 Express ladder stand at $79.95. I tried one about two years ago and now have four of them.

Good luck!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/ctlg/ctlg_page.asp?cid=143&page=54

whitetaco02

thanks for the link and advice. are the stands pretty comfortable? is that a pretty reputable company to buy from? i have heard of them but never bought from them.

jbarron

BANNED
I've ordered maybe a dozen items from The Sportsman's Guide over the years without any problems.

The box on the last deer stand I ordered had been slightly damaged during transit resulting in a missing brace. I simply called the Remington 800 support number and they replaced the part no questions asked.

Once attached to the tree, these stands are very sturdy. At 6’4” and 260 lbs, I feel comfortable in them. You’ll need a nice cushion to sit on. I use a camouflage boat cushion as my ImadummyImadummyImadummy saver.

Just 1 More

For bow season.. HEIGHT MATTERS.. try to always use a stand 17 to 20+ feet high.. not just to the shooting rail, which is how a lot of them are measured, but to the seat or the platform.

whitetaco02

I usually climb that high but with bow season being so hot, i want a ladder stand to cut down on a lot of my work. our land was just clear cut so I don't have the option to climb like I used to.

i will definitley look into the sportsman place. thanks

any other comments?

medic1

Have you thought of a loc-on? There are more models to choose from when it comes to comfort and large platform size. Plus they are less noticable.

toddboucher

I have one and don't think its comfortable. I would keep looking.

whitetaco02

Have you thought of a loc-on? There are more models to choose from when it comes to comfort and large platform size. Plus they are less noticable.

I was thinking about it but this area is for both me and my dad. He is 56 years old and not the most graceful if you know what I mean. I know he would not want to try and climb into a loc on. He has a hard enough time in his summit getting over 14 feet. lol

gpigate

:) not sure what todd doesnt like about it, the cushion is almost 3 " thick. not much else to not be comfortable.

whitetaco02

i guess it is all personal preference. lol

i am going to wait a few more weeks. hopefully basspro will have a fall sale like they usually do.

gpigate

oh I know there is a lot of personal preference to stands, I have had my share of them. With that bowhunter i like that the gun rail is adjustable, seat flips up, and the cushion is thick as all get out. You dont have a back rest but you can make one easy enough.

gadeerwoman

I see cabela's has a new 21' bowhunter flip seat ladder stand in their archery catalog this year. May have to give that one a look see.

kevincox

The only thing I don't like about ladder stands while bowhunting is the ladder! I kill tons of deer under my loc-on and portable while bowhunting but deer seem to smell human scent on and around the ladder. When I hunt out of ladders the deer seem to look up at me. I do own a hunters view 16ft ladder that I bow hunt out of occassionally. It works fine, but I don't hunt for big bucks out of it.

whitetaco02

oh I know there is a lot of personal preference to stands, I have had my share of them. With that bowhunter i like that the gun rail is adjustable, seat flips up, and the cushion is thick as all get out. You dont have a back rest but you can make one easy enough.

yeah, you are right about that. I will look into it for sure. thanks