The call to alter regulations? Purpose?

Covehnter

Some regulations changes that I would like to see considered before we start shortening seasons. .

-I would venture to guess that, on the low side, 40% of gobblers taken nowadays die with some type of visual aid. Would making the use of these visual aids illegal not reduce the overall harvest? I would wager it would have a larger impact than reducing the limit. **This is not in any way discounting those who choose to hunt with visual aids**
-Many states have a daily limit of (1) gobbler. This, although small, could result in a few less gobblers being taken due to flock shooting.
-And dare I say it, but before I had fewer spring mornings to enjoy I would vote for a noon or 1pm cutoff like other states. We still have the daily opportunities and I'm sure that would result in reduced harvest.

Just some ideas.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Some regulations changes that I would like to see considered before we start shortening seasons. .

-I would venture to guess that, on the low side, 40% of gobblers taken nowadays die with some type of visual aid. Would making the use of these visual aids illegal not reduce the overall harvest? I would wager it would have a larger impact than reducing the limit. **This is not in any way discounting those who choose to hunt with visual aids**
-Many states have a daily limit of (1) gobbler. This, although small, could result in a few less gobblers being taken due to flock shooting.
-And dare I say it, but before I had fewer spring mornings to enjoy I would vote for a noon or 1pm cutoff like other states. We still have the daily opportunities and I'm sure that would result in reduced harvest.

Just some ideas.

I agree for the most part. Absolutely on visual aid. No concealed blind or box unless it was with a bow, maybe. I just don't think turkeys should be hunted like deer. The whole experience is lost. No more than one a day sounds good. I don't think time of day would impact much. Not many are that persistent.

If nothing else, it would be a temporary way to keep the male population up for huntable numbers until man or nature corrects itself.

Gut_Pile

Three things I would love to happen would be

No decoys (I would be okay with no male decoys)
No jakes (unless under age 16)
1 gobbler per day

The decoys I don't think would ever happen. The hunting industry is too big and unfortunately the decoy market is the money maker in turkey hunting now, not the calls.

XIronheadX

The decoys I don't think would ever happen. The hunting industry is too big and unfortunately the decoy market is the money maker in turkey hunting now, not the calls.

You could be right. I think the state has to do what's best though. Worrying about their decoys, or restocking turkeys in areas again. The hunting industry getting so big may be part of the problem.

XIronheadX

This is a part of the problem here. It's more of a flash fad type deal to Turkey now now days...kinda along the same lines of the way duck hunting is now.

TV. They watch those shows and think that's what turkey hunting is. They have ruined an entire generation of turkey hunters. It's all a gimick now.

Covehnter

I'm just glad to know I'm not alone with some of these views. And I also agree with the decoys being a money maker so it's going to be tough to push them aside, but money "should" not be a factor in the conversation when the health of a population is considered. But we all know the truth. But when they start whacking days off a season they'll be loosing money from those that are buying the decoys in the first place, something I hope they take into consideration IF money is a topic of conversation.

HD28

I myself would be more than willing to sacrifice a few days and reduced limits if it would help ensure future populations of huntable turkeys! That's just my opinion though. I still maintain that something needs to be done.

brittonl

All great suggestions & conversation Dave

deerpoacher1970

All great suggestions & conversation Dave
The last thing they need to do is shorten the season,if a man has to work for a living he only gets a few days to hunt and you figure in bad weather days and that makes it shorter,we don't control turkey populations by killing male turkeys,predators and mother nature do that so if you ain't happy with the turkey population you can always find something else to do like golf.

six

Lot of factors in play. I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen over the last 50 plus years of turkey hunting.

More people hunting, especially the first week or two now. And a majority of them use new age techniques. Decoys, including strutters that look more realistic than the battle scarred, missing feathers real deal. Enclosed blinds to hide the hunters, and most are better than the tents we used to camp in. Yes this is all legal, but still part of a multi tiered problem and probably isn't going to change.

Another contributer is the fact that predator control is almost nonexistent now. And one thing I've noticed is fire. Fire at the right time is good, fire at the wrong time is devastating. Hardwoods are quickly disappearing and being replaced with pines. Most pine stands are in a burn program of some type. And I understand a lot of jobs rely on the growth and harvest of pines. But that doesn't change the fact that a burn at the wrong time has a negative impact on turkey populations. From my property this year I saw smoke from burns from February to mid April. I didn't think much about the February burns, but April? Not to many years ago I was surrounded by mostly hardwoods. It was nothing to sit on the back porch drinking coffee and hear 8-10 birds gobbling. Now I'm mostly surrounded by pines. I can sit on the back porch drinking coffee now and smell smoke and may hear a bird every now and then.

matt79brown

It's such a broad spectrum. I hunt only public land. I love the all day hikes and challenges of wild mountain birds. One longbeard a year is very rewarding and at this point in the public land scene should be all thats allowed. However an old friend of mine has a 1200 acres that only he and his kids hunt. All year long he works and spends $ on his property. The birds are thriving there because of his efforts towards food, nesting, and predator control. Should his season be shortened? Should he only be allowed one bird a year? It's a complicated subject that will require more than a one size fits all solution. Maybe we should re-instill sportsmanship and stewardship, get out of the killing business, stop trying to out do the guy on face book, and get back to hunting! Seen a guy at the NWTF show with about 500 spurs hanging round his neck. He looked to be mid to late 20's. At his age I'm guessing somones probably exceeded the limit a time or two! Orta be ashamed as the man with a hundred buffalo pelts an a covered wagon!

XIronheadX

It's such a broad spectrum. I hunt only public land. I love the all day hikes and challenges of wild mountain birds. One longbeard a year is very rewarding and at this point in the public land scene should be all thats allowed. However an old friend of mine has a 1200 acres that only he and his kids hunt. All year long he works and spends $ on his property. The birds are thriving there because of his efforts towards food, nesting, and predator control. Should his season be shortened? Should he only be allowed one bird a year? It's a complicated subject that will require more than a one size fits all solution. Maybe we should re-instill sportsmanship and stewardship, get out of the killing business, stop trying to out do the guy on face book, and get back to hunting! Seen a guy at the NWTF show with about 500 spurs hanging round his neck. He looked to be mid to late 20's. At his age I'm guessing somones probably exceeded the limit a time or two! Orta be ashamed as the man with a hundred buffalo pelts an a covered wagon!

Yep, the hunt and pursuit matching up with a bird is all the fun. Once the bead is on him, it's all downhill from there. It's a personal thing. I sit with my son and get more enjoyment being part of the game. We let a load walk off this year. Some just flat beat us. But, we'll have more fun next year.

armyvet4583

Why can't we push for a open season on coons? Around my area they are buying land up to make WMAs however are they are doing very little to create good ground. The only money I see them spend is on roads so people can drive right up and shoot him out the window (Sarcasm). Why not do more Burns. I see 50ac on a 4500ac wma burned and that's about it. Other WMAs I don't see nothing done. All this being said I'm pretty confident I can go to any one of the WMAs I hunt and at least hear a bird.

3chunter

Decreasing opportunities won’t help turkeys or hunters. Kill some predators, stop cutting your woods, and stop bushhogging and burning during nesting

Arrow3

I would support a license increase where the increase was all pooled together to pay bounties on coyotes. I know that's far fetched but it could motivate more people to kill them.

Arrow3

I'm also fine with no decoys, no Jakes, and a 1 PM cutoff time.

ryanwhit

So we all agree that tents and decoys are cheating?