The call to alter regulations? Purpose?

NorthGaHunter

Some regulations changes that I would like to see considered before we start shortening seasons. .

-I would venture to guess that, on the low side, 40% of gobblers taken nowadays die with some type of visual aid. Would making the use of these visual aids illegal not reduce the overall harvest? I would wager it would have a larger impact than reducing the limit. **This is not in any way discounting those who choose to hunt with visual aids**
-Many states have a daily limit of (1) gobbler. This, although small, could result in a few less gobblers being taken due to flock shooting.
-And dare I say it, but before I had fewer spring mornings to enjoy I would vote for a noon or 1pm cutoff like other states. We still have the daily opportunities and I'm sure that would result in reduced harvest.

Just some ideas.
It would fine with me on making visual aids illegal.

I would definitely be opposed to any noon or 1 pm cutoff. All of my hunting is on the mountain WMA's/Chattahoochee Nat'l forest and I typically do hunt all day. Like someone else has said, very few people hunt all day and I rarely see people in the afternoon. I can't see how much of an impact that would have other than severely limit my hunting opportunities. Now days all my hunting is on the weekends and I try to hunt some in the afternoons after work during the week but this year that was greatly reduced.

3chunter

1pm cutoff???? You guys must not like turkey hunting. Go ahead and restrict yourself out of existence even more for no reason. It’s easy. Kill predators and manage your woods correctly and the population will increase. Anyone who complains simply isn’t doing enough to warrant complaining about populations. To anyone out there trying to cry lower limit or any other restriction. WHAt have you done to increase your populations?

Buckman18

GA has the longest spring season in the country and you wonder why your turkey population is declining?

Fake News.

Have you ever killed a turkey in Georgia? Or any where?

NUTT

1pm cutoff???? You guys must not like turkey hunting. Go ahead and restrict yourself out of existence even more for no reason. It’s easy. Kill predators and manage your woods correctly and the population will increase. Anyone who complains simply isn’t doing enough to warrant complaining about populations. To anyone out there trying to cry lower limit or any other restriction. WHAt have you done to increase your populations?
I'm complaining about populations.
First thing I've done is decrease my limit to two gobblers and each bird must come from a different property.
I have committed to shoot every coyote I see while hunting. 1 dead.
I have retained a trapper and so far have caught 2 coyotes and I'm paying for that out of my pocket.
This fall and in proper season I will pay for more predator trapping including raccoons possums etc.
I have also agreed to let some local coon hunters hunt all my properties as long as they kill every coon.
I still believe there is more needed to be done short term other than predator control to help build populations down the road.
Can you share any other ideas that you are doing that might help us that cry about population?

PappyHoel

The problem is the same as deer hunting. You have clubs with a little land and 80 hunters. Everyone wants to get their $1500 money’s worth to heck with conservation. The club managers manage memberships and not game animals. The same goes for every club I’ve been on in Georgia since 1989.

Maybe I haven’t found the right club but I’ve found the majority of clubs are run like those I’ve experienced.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The problem is the same as deer hunting. You have clubs with a little land and 80 hunters. Everyone wants to get their $1500 money’s worth to heck with conservation. The club managers manage memberships and not game animals. The same goes for every club I’ve been on in Georgia since 1989.

Maybe I haven’t found the right club but I’ve found the majority of clubs are run like those I’ve experienced.
Sorta true Pappy. Pay as much as you can to increase acreage to hunter ratio, and things get better. As far as moneys worth. A $1500 risky investment won't last. Go for the long term $2500 safe one. Or hunt remote.

Covehnter

The 1pm cutoff would be an absolute last resort but a suggestion I thought worth mentioning. I would much rather shorten the days than shorten the season!

I'm not saying I'd be in favor of any of these by the way, I just figured before restrictions were put on the turkey season length and limits (like was being mentioned) these options should be on the table.

blong

For what it’s worth, Ms cut out jake killing back around 2005 I guess. Personally I believe it helps to have more males carryover. But our governing bodies decided to make feeders legal a few years back and now 90% of the gobblers don’t make it to 3 years old because of feeders, blinds and male decoys. Habitat is the primary problem here and regulations will help but not the cure all. I’m not a Georgian but strongly believe that the multiple bird limit per day hurts. During early season, bachelor groups are very vulnerable.

PappyHoel

Sorta true Pappy. Pay as much as you can to increase acreage to hunter ratio, and things get better. As far as moneys worth. A $1500 risky investment won't last. Go for the long term $2500 safe one. Or hunt remote.
Yep I agree, I’m looking for that club in NE Ga now but I don’t think they exist unless I travel 2.5 hrs south. That’s just not possible with young kids and a wife, in my case.

3chunter

Better late then never I suppose.
1. Control predators
2. Don’t cut down roost areas
3. Don’t burn except between November and February. If you burn in March is a turkey hen going to roost there that season...nope. Unless you alternate burn areas yearly then that may be ok.
4. Your timber harvest plan must include wildlife plan
5. Dont cut a mature hardwood whatsoever especially if in a swamp or near a creek.
6. Hunt and trap nest predators as if your life depended on it.
I would add you can’t put turkeys where they don’t want to be without a lot of work. If you have places they frequent then don’t do stupid stuff like bushhogging during nesting or until July for that matter.

3chunter

Some people down the road from me turkey hunt. Spoke with them end of season this year and they complained about not hearing birds(I didn’t have that problem and they have better woods then I do) but what do I see them doing second week of May... bushhogging every field and road they have. Don’t be like those guys!

buckpasser

As burning was mentioned, late Rx fire has been encouraged by many to promote grass in pines as opposed to traditional winter burning which doesn’t favor grass production as much. If you get a chance to hunt any of the large wire grass quail plantations in the red hills region you will be very disappointed at the turkey population. The turkeys will be using the neighbors ag ground or the creeks and swamps that may cut the sparse timber.

Also, just my opinion, but shooting more than one tom in a sitting is wasteful anyway. It’s not difficult, takes away the possibility of another fun hunt, and we’re not out there to meat hunt. The folks I see doing it are truly after meat (and don’t appreciate wild turkeys), but are usually newbies who think they are super cool by posting their fb pictures of several dead toms or jakes laid out there. Once you get good enough at it, you realize they’re really not that hard to kill and hopefully you can mature past the blood thirst. A law change could get some of us there quicker, and in the mean time maybe supply the neighbor with an opportunity.

Lastly, FWIW Southwest GA has much more hunting pressure than ten years ago and the population seems to have trended down quite a bit, but is still better than it was 20 ago.

Last edited:

Ricochet

Three things I would love to happen would be

No decoys (I would be okay with no male decoys)
No jakes (unless under age 16)
1 gobbler per day

The decoys I don't think would ever happen. The hunting industry is too big and unfortunately the decoy market is the money maker in turkey hunting now, not the calls.
I agree on all accounts.