The Kolomoki Archaeological Society Inc.

Son

Thread starter #1
Visit the website for the lastest show information. Next show to be held at Donalsonville Georgia August 19, 2006.
Tables must be reserved. Attend to see some great artifacts.
New memberships will receive a free R.P. Bullens 1975 revised edition, Florida point type book, a rare book, for as long as they last. A copy of this book will cost you 25.00 or more, if you can find one on the internet.

http://www.geocities.com/kolomoki_society

Attachments

Son

Thread starter #3
Kolomoki Society

Two large Levy points found in the Tampa Bay area.

Attachments

Son

Thread starter #7
I will be there, displaying artifacts I've collected for over 50 years..
Another collector from Polk Co. Fl. plans to attend, he has a fine, large Florida collection.
A few local Georgia folks have already signed up, displaying for their first time. So there's going to be plenty to see. Lots of knowledge will be attending this show, A real plus for those just getting started.
The purpose of this get together is to provide a facility for collectors to share, display and learn. Also to give the public a favorable view of the hobby of collecting Prehistoric Indian artifacts.

Son

Thread starter #10
The Kolomoki Society Inc. (A non-profit Society)

For those interested, here's some info about the oldest Society of American Indian artifact collectors in the Southeast.

The Kolomoki Society was established in 1962. Organized in Early County, Georgia, the Society first met at individual's homes. As the crowd grew, the meeting was moved to Kolomoki Mounds State Park. The Society quickly grew into a South Georgia, South Alabama and Florida society and expanded from one show to several per year hosted by members in each of the tri-states.

OUR PURPOSE

As a non-profit society with no paid officers or members we strive to accomplish the following:
To promote friendship and trust among collectors of artifacts produced by prehistoric North American people.

To preserve our right to collect, educate and learn from those artifacts.

To provide meetings for our members, focused on the display and ethical collector activities for authentic prehistoric artifacts.

To offer an avenue for a better understanding of our avocation to professionals, collectors and interested public.

Let me also add, our membership dues etc. are collected only to cover cost of operating the Society, donating to other non-profit groups and when possible, to give something back to the membership such as free books, free tables and meeting facilities.
Thanks for reading

Son

Swamprat

Son

Looks like a very interesting meet and society. I might have to stop by and see you at the Donalsonville show on the way to the lease.

I have been over to Letchworth Mounds outside of Tallahassee. Pretty weird to see a 40' or so mound surrounded by flat land along with the 3 or 4 other small mounds.

Where did they get the dirt from because I do not recall seeing any pits near by. Never been to Kolomoki but I imagine it is about the same as well.

Good luck with the society and meet this year.

Scott

Bow Only

Son, on the picture after the Thothon's, what differenciates the top Levy from a Pickwick? Do they come from similar layers and how would you relate the points to each other?

Son

Thread starter #13

Question about the two Levy points. Levy Points can be barbed or shouldered. Key to identifying features are: Tapering stem, barb or shoulder connects to the stem with a slight concave curve. A subtype of the Florida Archaic Stemmed form, levy points are found in middle archaic sites dating to around 3400 BC. The two Levy points displayed were found in Middle Archaic sites, Hillsborough and Pasco Counties Fl. No Pickwicks in that area.

About the mounds: Usually a shallow pit or curving moat feature can be found in the immediate area. Sometimes hidden by brush or inundated by modern machinery such as those used for farming. Just imagine hauling all that dirt to the mound in baskets.
Here's a picture of the type pottery that can be found in Florida. 200-800 AD, Cades pond culture. All put together from shards found in Pasco Co. Fl.
Yep, I was young once...lol

Attachments

Son

Thread starter #15
Pickwick, Levy?

I've never found Pickwicks and Levy points in the same site. R.P. Bullen didn't recognize Pickwick points in Florida. A form similar to the pickwick shape, found in N. Fl. rivers are often called pickwick by some collectors. But I don't know of any pertinent data from an excavated site to confirm the type in Florida. Hypothetical, but could be an overlap of two cultures in extreme North Florida.
In my view there's so many point type books available today that confuse typology. I find collectors typing their collections according to their book of choice. As time passes, many publishings become "out of print", difficult to acquire and for many new collectors, never heard of. This gives opportunity for new publishings to create a following, no matter the content.

Last edited:

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hey, folks, got my membership card and my free book as a new member today. Gotta be one of the best $15 investments I've made in a long time, not to mention helping a good-non-profit group that has the right intentions! Thanks, Mr. Son, and the KAS!
Sue

Son

Thread starter #19

Thank you Sue. Without folks like you, we wouldn't be.