The Kolomoki Archaeological Society Inc.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for the lift, need to stay on top so folks don't forget.

Attachments

• glasscoral.jpg
    glasscoral.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 326

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Next show, Aug 19, 2006.
To join make a check out to The Kolomoki Society Inc and mail it to PO Box 4674 Donalsonville, Ga 39845.
If you desire to display at this show tables must be reserved as they are limited. Admission and a free table to all members while they last. New memberships get a free Florida point type book.
Contact fla@alltel.net for tables and/or information.

Attachments

• newbook4.jpg
    newbook4.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 288

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The show Aug 19th

There will be about 15 tables of Florida chert and coral points displayed at this meeting. the picture above is three Coral Pasco type points from the middle archaic cultural period.
many Georgia collections will be well represented also.
We already have about 23 displaying tables reserved.
A modern flint knapper will be on board to show and explain how stone points are made.
The Kolomoki Society Inc is the oldest arrowhead collecting society in the Southeast, Est in 1962.

Attachments

• bigbacks.jpg
    bigbacks.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 291

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kolomoki Society

The board of directors are considering an awards program for our meetings. The Society did this many years ago, but for some reason stopped. If the idea passes, we will be awarding plaques for best display, and most Educational.

Swamprat

Swamprat
Free Bump....

Is there a admission fee for the show. Not that it matters to me but I am going to try and make it. Might bring my 2 girls in the morning then take them to the lease in the afternoon.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
No admission fee for this show.
Our membership has grown enough to support our current activities. Membership runs from Jan 1 to Dec 31 each year. Members get one display table free, long as they last. The day of the show, tables not reserved will be given first come. Memberships are 15.00 per person. While they last, a free Florida point type book will be given to each new member. A copy of this book sells for over 25.00 ea these days. Our Society believes in supporting other non-profit organizations and giving something back to the members. http://www.geocities.com/kolomoki_society

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
At a Kolomoki show

just a few pictures to show what type stuff can be seen at our shows. I've picked a few from my collection to show ya.

bannerstone made of red claystone, personal find from Baker Co. Ga.

Attachments

• arrowhead13.jpg
    arrowhead13.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 217

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
at the shows

Adena Gorget identified by the type drilling. It's made of banded slate and is from Ohio. I purchased this piece from the finder many years ago. I used to travel several states in search of artifacts.

Attachments

• arrowhead16.jpg
    arrowhead16.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 209

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
another picture

I remember the day this point was found. couple other collectors said there wouldn't be any artifacts in that swamp. Glad I looked. It's made of local Hillsborough Co. Fl. chert and takes on a great colorful patina from the soil it was in. The type is Newnan, Middle Archaic 3400 BC

Attachments

• arrowhead30.jpg
    arrowhead30.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 221

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Early Archaic Point

Bolen expanded notch, 7300 BC or there a bouts. What a day it was when I found this thing. found several others including the best coral Newnan ever. This point is made of raw chert. (later Indians discovered how to heat alter their material giving it more color and made it easier to work)

Attachments

• artifact22.jpg
    artifact22.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 197

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
something different

Pottery effigys, personal finds from pottery shard bearing sites. Woodland and/or Mississippian. These clay effigys were once attached to pottery vessels.
I call 'em, the Woodduck, Passenger Pigeon and Bullfrog

Attachments

• arrowhead29.jpg
    arrowhead29.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 198

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
One more

We could do this all night....

Here's two Tallahassee Dalton points. Named by RP Bullen in his guide to Florida Projectile Points, 1968, 75-78

Both are made from raw coastal plains chert. These points date to about 8 K BC and have ground basal edges, Ground basal edges are also common on Paleo and other Early Archaic types.

Attachments

• arrowhead5.jpg
    arrowhead5.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 200

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Next Kolomoki Show

Don't forget the show is the 19th, Donalsonville, Ga at the American Legion Hall on highway 39 south. Look for the helicopter.

Attachments

• earlyco.jpg
    earlyco.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 185

Bow Only

Is that Newnan the one that was so good, I tried to save the picture to my computer and couldn't? Best point I've ever seen.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Tell me which one you like Bow and I can email ya a picture of it.
Here's a few Florida points made of what we collectors call "Baybottom chert", center of distribution for this material is Tampa Bay area.

Attachments

• collect30.jpg
    collect30.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 180

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
could this be the Newnan you're talking about

Attachments

• annewnan.jpg
    annewnan.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 188

Bow Only

Nope, not as good as the other one. It's one you haven't shown before. If I remember right, it was translucent. And I'll argue til the day I die I've got one made out of Bay Bottom.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The four inch Newnan above is translucent. Put a light behind it and it lights up like a pink lantern.

Maybe this is the Newnan point you're referring to. It's also translucent coral and one of the most perfect points in my collection.

Attachments

• artifact5.jpg
    artifact5.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 182

Bow Only

Nope, it's thinner than that one. But I would give you 3 Duvals and a broke Taylor for that one. The one I'm talking about you were holding up to the sky or light.