The last enemy to be destroyed is death?

Artfuldodger

This from 1 Corinthians 15:26 "The last enemy to be destroyed is death."

Any thoughts on what that means? How does it affect everyone who is dead? Perhaps it just means from a future perspective. In that there will not be any more future deaths.

I would think though that after all of his enemies are destroyed, there wouldn't be any more death anyways. Maybe it's symbolic.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
I don't know anyone that can avoid death, yet in Christ we have already been rendered victorious!

Israel

BANNED
For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christthe firstfruits; then at His coming, those who belong to Him. Then the end will come, when He hands over the kingdom to God the Father after He has destroyed all dominion, authority, and power For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 1 Cor

But somewhere it is testified in these words: “What is man that You are mindful of him, or the son of man that You care for him? You made him a little lower than the angels; You crowned him with glory and honor and placed everything under his feet.” When God subjected all things to him, He left nothing outside of his control. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to him But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone. In bringing many sons to glory, it was fitting for God, for whom and through whom all things exist, to make the author of their salvation perfect through suffering. For both the One who sanctifies and those who are sanctified are of the same family.
Hebrews

Weary of failure? The seeing of it? Of sin, the seeing of it? Of fear of death (its previous stronghold so firm in consciousness as making all subject to it?) and the seeing of it? Confusion? Speculations?
The way is constant and remains the same in all of these "things"...the giving of something...the giving of someone else to see instead.

Yes...God has a way of directing our sight, narrowing our sight, excluding from sight every enemy of torment to us...but, it is not by our looking about to see if they are gone.

What is true? What is real? What is symbolic? What is literal? What is it we have allowed entrance to the dividing in our consciousness of truth into "spiritual truth" and some other?

How often we may say "the truth is a person"...and then look at events, experiences, mere "things" and in truth ascribe to them a same weightiness of truth. And though that practice may be truly "taking place" in us...is it the truth? A liar may truly be a liar...but he is not true.

"Taking place" may not be a poor understanding...what are we allowing to that taking place? But we shall not know, nor can we, by our own seeking out the nature of its substance...it can only be shown us, revealed to us, not assayed by us...in the only place of light.

"I Am the Light of the World"

...But we see Jesus...

Spineyman

I don't know anyone that can avoid death, yet in Christ we have already been rendered victorious!
You do not die if you believe in Christ. You tent, which is your physical body dies but you spirit and soul will never die. It passes from life to life! Jesus has already conquered death when He was resurrected!

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
You do not die if you believe in Christ. You tent, which is your physical body dies but you spirit and soul will never die. It passes from life to life! Jesus has already conquered death when He was resurrected!
Can't disagree at all! Kinda shows the importance of the 'tent' to the eternal. At least, the current one!

Artfuldodger

Great answers concerning the eternal "life" of Christians. The others who aren't Christians, they will die, right?

Artfuldodger

Even though Jesus has already conquered death for us, Paul says "The last enemy to be destroyed is death." Paul says it a future event after the resurrection. After all of Christ's other enemies are destroyed.

Seems like I remember another verse about death being thrown in the Fire as well.

Just wondering what it means for Christ to destroy death at that future event in time.

Maybe a better word than destroy would be abolish, annull, ovethrow, or "done away with."

Death is also an enemy. The last enemy is death. The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Squadron77

This is after the millennial kingdom and Satan is set loose to deceive the people once again. Christ will come and destroy Satan (death) and claim his people to deliver to God the Father.

Artfuldodger

This is after the millennial kingdom and Satan is set loose to deceive the people once again. Christ will come and destroy Satan (death) and claim his people to deliver to God the Father.

Seems like Paul would have just said Satan instead of calling him "death." I do see it as God's kingdom being restored after death is destroyed. I've just never associated death as being Satan.

Squadron77

Seems like Paul would have just said Satan instead of calling him "death." I do see it as God's kingdom being restored after death is destroyed. I've just never associated death as being Satan.

Satan holds the power of death over us but Jesus can break that power because of his righteousness. When we accept Christ we are covered in His righteousness and have eternal life.

Hebrew 2:14
14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—

Last edited:

Spineyman

Great answers concerning the eternal "life" of Christians. The others who aren't Christians, they will die, right?
They will die physically not their soul. They will also die a spiritual death, cut off from the presence of the Lord, then comes judgement and eternal punishment.

Spineyman

Satan holds the power of death over us but Jesus can break that power because of his righteousness. When we accept Christ we are covered in His righteousness and have eternal life.

Hebrew 2:14
14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil—

Which He accomplished on the cross. Satan is defeated, done in, finished.

Matthew 28:18-20

18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Artfuldodger

18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.

Then what is death in 1 Corinthians 15:26 if not Satan? I'm not saying it is, just wondering.

Artfuldodger

Yet the earth has not been restored as per 1 Corinthians 15. Jesus still has to destroy all dominion, authority, and power. Then after that he must destroy death.

It may not be Satan but something is our there with dominion, authority, and power. Death is still out there. Enemies are still out there.

Israel

BANNED
But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

It is a work of God to allow us troubled by what we may see to bring us to see what is.

This grace of deliverance from our declaring according to our perception in contradiction can never be over esteemed. Only underappreciated. But, we are learning...having been given grace...for grace.

Long after sin is not even in memory, grace remains in celebration...for our God is gracious, and did not "become so" in reaction to, or for us. If it bears any at all seeming peculiarity to us, it may just be to the extent we have taken being for granted.

As He is, so are we in this world.

Not that I have already attained...but we press on!

We are what we are by the grace of God.

Artfuldodger

That's the confusing part, Jesus has abolished death already. Yet in Corinthians 15, after the resurrection, after all the other enemies are defeated, Jesus will destroy death.

Artfuldodger

People are still dying every day. Maybe Jesus abolished a way out of death at the Cross. That would be past tense.

I think that after this future event there will be no more death of any kind. Death for everyone will be destroyed in the sense that no one else will ever die.

Maybe if you aren't dead by then, at that time when Jesus destroys death, if you are still alive, it will be proof you have eternal life.

It may not bring anyone back who is dead. Maybe it's not retroactive. If you are dead at that point, you will stay dead. It just means there will be no more future death.

From that point on, anyone who is alive has everlasting life.

Artfuldodger

Restoration complete, Kingdom returned to his Father.

"Then the son himself will be made subject to Him who put all things under Him, so that God may be all in all."

It has a lot to do with the final restoration.

Israel

BANNED
Confusion has, for the believer a peculiar pressure to be experienced...which also holds a direction-ality to it. We get "pressed to" someone...in whom is no confusion.