The "McNab"

TJay

I was watching an outdoors show yesterday filmed in the upper northwest of the US. Apparently there is feat called the McNab. To accomplish a McNab you shoot a deer in the morning in this case I think it was a blacktail. Shoot a brace of grouse late morning and then use the feathers from the grouse and hair from the deer to tie a fly and catch salmon or trout in the afternoon. All accomplished in the space of one day. Pretty cool.

Duff

That’s pretty cool. I’ve killed a turkey and caught a mess of trout on my way out a couple times. Bout close as I can come to that

Redbow

Hmmm, interesting. A McNab is a breed of Dog developed in Northern California my neighbor had one that we used to keep when they went out of town. Kinda like a border collie McNab dogs are smart and well behaved they are herding dogs also and they make a great family pet.

I wonder if I killed a rabbit or two on an early morning hunt, then a couple hours later I killed a couple of Quail, then went to the river and caught a mess of Bream late that afternoon would that be called a McNab? I could use the hair from the rabbit and the feathers from the Quail to make a fishing lure for bream I guess.

baddave

Hmmm, interesting. A McNab is a breed of Dog developed in Northern California my neighbor had one that we used to keep when they went out of town. Kinda like a border collie McNab dogs are smart and well behaved they are herding dogs also and they make a great family pet.

I wonder if I killed a rabbit or two on an early morning hunt, then a couple hours later I killed a couple of Quail, then went to the river and caught a mess of Bream late that afternoon would that be called a McNab? I could use the hair from the rabbit and the feathers from the Quail to make a fishing lure for bream I guess.
thanks for that info. I may look into that breed. Our border collie may need a friend here in about 6 mnths:cheers:

TJay

Maybe we should try and come up with a southern McNab. Deer in the morning...what bird is in season during deer season? The fish part would be pretty easy.
Then maybe a spring McNab with turkey as the bird part.

baddave

Maybe we should try and come up with a southern McNab. Deer in the morning...what bird is in season during deer season? The fish part would be pretty easy.
Then maybe a spring McNab with turkey as the bird part.
How bout a good fast action dove shoot

pjciii

That would McBilly.

BigBass123

Missing the big game but one of my favorite memories is getting a dove, then using the feathers to catch bass and bluegill on the fly rod the same day. All cooked by the fire that night.

Not sure why, but those dove feathers have done great for me on bass over the years. Probably outfishes a clouser. Downside is they only seem to last for 1, maybe 2 fish at most which is why I figure there aren’t any popular patterns tied with them.

Edit: the feathers don’t do well trying to hackle them, so it makes for one ugly looking fly. But the fish don’t seem to care one bit.

Redbow

thanks for that info. I may look into that breed. Our border collie may need a friend here in about 6 mnths:cheers:
I have no idea where you can get a McNab dog my neighbors were from California and they got there's from a rescue center there. They are black and white really good dogs and very friendly. Our neighbors McNab was well trained and very obedient. Look up the McNab dogs on google you can see pictures of that breed wish we had one years ago but a McNab pup would be hard for us to turn down even now.

baddave

I have no idea where you can get a McNab dog my neighbors were from California and they got there's from a rescue center there. They are black and white really good dogs and very friendly. Our neighbors McNab was well trained and very obedient. Look up the McNab dogs on google you can see pictures of that breed wish we had one years ago but a McNab pup would be hard for us to turn down even now.
Yes, I did look it up as soon as I read your post. Looks and sounds like a breed we'd like. Our bc is amazing but I'm finding those may be hard to find. I want a new puppy this time.

Redbow

Yes, I did look it up as soon as I read your post. Looks and sounds like a breed we'd like. Our bc is amazing but I'm finding those may be hard to find. I want a new puppy this time.
Get ready to pay big bucks for a McNab puppy. You will probably find a few online for sale.

baddave

Not like I'm rich but I don't mind paying or driving for a good dog.