The millennial generation didn't need a draft.

shdw633

Then why did it have to start back up??? When a male reaches 18 now he has to enter the draft. I'm a boomer and the draft was not around when I joined in 1980.

Thread starter #3

jdgator

Then why did it have to start back up??? When a male reaches 18 now he has to enter the draft. I'm a boomer and the draft was not around when I joined in 1980.
There is no draft. All males over the age of 18 have to register for the selective service.

shdw633

Correct that there is not draft.....at this time, but it's there in the event that should the country need to it can be fired up immediately and you get called to action, involuntarily. In my day we didn't have to register for the selective service, it was all voluntary.

I missed on Vietnam. Too young thank God.
I never registered. Not required but it was reinstated soon after being abolished.
That being said , I have utmost respect for the military and nearly joined the AF as I lived in Warner Robins. I thank everyone in uniform and ball cap veterans every chance I get. AND I would have served if drafted but volunteering was not as attractive especially years immediately after Vietnam.
I chose a different path.

NOYDB

I went thru two drafts, high numbers each time. Then it was stopped.

As a military brat I knew you never volunteer for anything.

You speak of what you do not know.
Item one ,Jimmy Carter destroyed any chance of a draft when he pardoned the draft dodgers.
Item Two, Drafted military members only served two years, most only did 18 months if they served in a combat zone or hardship tour.
Item three, The judges wouldn’t allow a draft, most are Obama flunkys .
Item Four. Riots in the streets. Tell some of these not good youngsters that they would have to go serve and you think you have a problem now. It would be like 68 on power aid.
Item five. having served in a draft army and a volunteer army . I would say no but no no. Some that were drafted were good soldiers and did What the were supposed to do .allot were just a bunch of dope smoking criminals that were right out of some slum ghetto and were the scum of the earth. They stole , lied cheated and were just down right low life’s. Now let me qualify my statement race religion or color had nothing to do with the above. The bums were bums and that’s it . They came from everywhere and they were every color and religion.
Item Six. When you volunteered you wanted to be there. Most everybody that came in turned out to be good soldiers. AWOL and desertion were not big problems. Yea it happened but not like it had in the past. I was in during what I called the purge which happened from 1975 to 1980. General Tommy Franks talks about this in his book American Soldier. He talks about an encounter with a young malcontent that need a good wall to wall counseling. I encountered a good bit of the same trash and the NCO and Officer corps that delivered the stunning victory in the hundred hours of combat against Sadam were raised and trained during this awful time right after Vietnam.
No sir no way no shape or form do we need a draft!

Last edited:
Thread starter #14

jdgator

50 posts about millennials slacking. Not a peep of recognition about what really counts: When the chips were the table the millennials (myself included) answered the call.

50 posts about millennials slacking. Not a peep of recognition about what really counts: When the chips were the table the millennials (myself included) answered the call.
Not saying you guys are bad at all. I know allot of highly motivated soldiers that are gen X that I would be proud to serve with. But I do not think that a draft would correct the problems with some of the young people in this country. Unlike you guys you must admit that some out there wouldn’t cut it. The draft is not the way to.

No one spits on soldiers and Marines now a day unless they are left wing loons. Only until the last twenty years has it become ok to wear a uniform in public.

I volnterred in 1973 for Nam.
Finished Boot Camp and AIT and just got to Germany on my way. Vietnam fell and we were done 3 days before I shipped out.
The Army was a Mess , Draftees that showed up to morning Formation in Flip Flops. Smoking Ciggs and drinking coffee. What are you going to do...Throw me out..
Inspections were a joke...nobody cared.
I RIF , ed out after 2 1/2 years on a 3 year stint.
No need to hang around and clean Barraks and drink.
War was over..Nobody cared any more..

shdw633

Hard to slap you on the back when you talk smack to those of us from the baby boomer era who volunteered as well.