The New Hands free law, I think it is too restrictive, What do yall Think??

one hogman

I agree that distracted drivers are causing wrecks and injuring and killing lots of people everyday, in the Gwinnett paper they posted examples of why we need the new law ALL the examples were related to texting which is and was ALREADY illegal, like so many laws without enforcement and Compliance they are worthless, I think we are just taking away our rights at the idea of doing something, Also along with your eyes, having your mind distracted is the worse thing not your hands. What say you guys???

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I like it! Every single day, I see many people on their phones while driving. It's disturbing, actually. Unless it's an emergency situation, and you're calling 911, you shouldn't be messing with a phone while driving. Nothing else is so important that it can't wait. I am all for this new law, and hope it's enforced. But let's be real, a phone junkie will still use his/ her phone, regardless.

Heck, even talking hands-free can be a distraction. If you're driving, you need to pay attention to the road and your surroundings. That's all there is to it!

NOYDB

BANNED
When I drove an 18 wheeler for a living I would watch other drivers. As I traveled down the freeway with a entrance ramp coming up. My truck was bright white and usually with a matching trailer. People not on the phone would come to where the ramp meets the interstate and be surprised there was a 70 ft long, 11 foot high, 8 foot wide truck already on the road. If a semi can sneak up on them there isn't a law you could pass to protect them.

DannyW

I also like it...I work a couple of days a week now and ride as the passenger in a work van. Every day I work I see literally HUNDREDS of people playing with their phones, and it is amazing how many people WATCH MOVIES while driving.

If you could limit people to just making phone calls that would be okay but it is astounding how many people are fiddling around with their phones, texting, watching videos, accessing the internet or whatever, while driving.

It's unfortunate that responsible people who just want to make phone calls have to be penalized but until we are willing to put preventive measures in place that block data use while a vehicle is in motion, everyone will have to be restricted from handling a phone.

I read the other day that the technology is available now that shuts down data traffic when a vehicle, and therefore a phone inside a vehicle, is moving. But until we force the issue, it will never be put into play.

And don't start me on the car makers who are now offering Wi-Fi as a feature in their cars...imagine the outrage if they also offered wet bars with beer taps as a "feature". Basically the same difference as enabling phone junkies easier access to the internet while driving.

Disclaimer: A few years ago my wife and daughter were rear ended by a driver who never even touched their brakes and admitted they were texting at the time of impact at 45 MPH. My family was okay, although our van was totaled, but I admit I am a little biased on the subject.

gunnurse

Lets include eating and drinking. Nothing like a Route 44 in your lap or a hot cup of coffee down your chest to liven up the ride.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Let’s ban a bottled water while we’re at it.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Wonder if women can still apply lipstick and mascara?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Problem with technology that shuts down phones while in motion like DannyW suggests, what about the passengers in the vehicle????!!!!!! No law against THEM using a phone while riding in a car. That technology is a waste

transfixer

If I'm not mistaken texting and driving is already illegal, and it hasn't stopped anyone from texting , or facebooking, or whatever, its just another law on the books that won't serve much purpose, City departments or GSP will be the only ones trying to enforce it, most county sheriffs depts. don't care to write traffic tickets, they want to catch real criminals, they concentrate on drug possessions, outstanding warrants , etc, if they see a sketchy looking vehicle they might use the phone thing as an excuse to pull someone over, just to see what else they might stumble onto, but virtually none of them will write a ticket for just that, unless you're a jerk to them.

j_seph

So we obey the law, those married or with children and teens will you truly obey it? One of them calls you, will you ignore it or pull over and call back, or answer it in case something is wrong?

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
You can still talk and text it just must be done hands free. Talk to text and stuff. Never vehicles allow you to connect your phone and have the feature available. I don't understand the music part of it though. Supposedly you aren't to have any music apps running either. I can turn on my spotify and hit shuffle play and put the phone in the glove box and never need to touch it but with a music app playing i will still be breaking the law. As i read it.

transfixer

Lately most of my driving is local, and within the city jurisdictions of 3 or 4 towns, I've just ordered a handsfree device that mounts on the sun visor, and links up using Bluetooth, I'll try it out and see how it works, since the local municipalities have a reputation for making their operating budget off of traffic tickets.

Artfuldodger

How do you answer "hands free?" I have an older phone that is blue tooth capable but I think I'd still have to push a button to answer the call. If my phone is dash mounted I don't see where that would be any different than turning the radio knob or turning the a/c on.

Maybe you just can't hold it or support with your body parts but you can still push buttons with your body parts.

I don't reckon the earpiece/microphone even has to be cordless.
You can still use a CB radios &CB radio hybrid. Is that one of those like Nextel? You can use the hand held walkie-talkie function but not the cell phone. I'm not sure about CB's. Can you still use a hand held microphone?

Last edited:

transfixer

I haven't received it yet, but I believe it has two ways of answering, it will either automatically connect the call after a couple rings, or you can reach up and hit a button on the device which will be clipped to your sun visor. the theory being that you can keep your eyes on the road.

Artfuldodger

My phone is an older LG flip phone. I just looked at it and did the bluetooth search function. Of course there is nothing bluetooth in my house. My daughter is coming over. She was suppose to buy a headset. I'll see if my phone will discover it. I guess bluetooth technology is backwards compatible.
Now I need a mount that will allow my flip phone to stay in the open position.

j_seph

My phone is an older LG flip phone. I just looked at it and did the bluetooth search function. Of course there is nothing bluetooth in my house. My daughter is coming over. She was suppose to buy a headset. I'll see if my phone will discover it. I guess bluetooth technology is backwards compatible.
Now I need a mount that will allow my flip phone to stay in the open position.
Loosen spring and hinge, mount it upside down. When phone rings, surge on brakes as though you are doing a brake check. If springs are right it should flip open. As the call begins to end, slow down and as you say bye just punch the throttle real hard and again if springs are right it should close it. You are Welcome

Artfuldodger

Loosen spring and hinge, mount it upside down. When phone rings, surge on brakes as though you are doing a brake check. If springs are right it should flip open. As the call begins to end, slow down and as you say bye just punch the throttle real hard and again if springs are right it should close it. You are Welcome

LOL, reminds me of the old Zippo lighter tricks!

You need to post that on "Life Hacks."

Oldstick

How do you answer "hands free?" I have an older phone that is blue tooth capable but I think I'd still have to push a button to answer the call. If my phone is dash mounted I don't see where that would be any different than turning the radio knob or turning the a/c on.

Maybe you just can't hold it or support with your body parts but you can still push buttons with your body parts.

That's what I've read in the paper, but can't swear to it. Supposedly you can touch to answer as long as the phone's not in your hand or lap, etc.

Latest posts