The olcaptain bats .500 !

olcaptain

Late yesterday afternoon I went down to the dock to try and catch a few small Bream for bait. Using some worms left over from a recent trip up the creek I soon bagged my goal of four. I baited 4 rods and came back up to the house full of anticipation. I was hoping for maybe one fish out of the four.

Went down this morning and realized that I was batting .500 and one of the two is definitely a Keeper! (12 lb Flathead) Not too bad for a few left over hand me down worms.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

ThomasCobb123

You must have enough catfish fillets in your freezer(s) to feed a country Baptist picnic.(y)
Way to go.

Coenen

Not gonna try to get the backstraps out of that toothy critter?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Couple nice fish. I’d ate those gar backstraps first.
Jeff

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I can't get past the smell of those gar. They have the strongest fish smell of anything I have ever caught

Coenen

I've heard about that but I need a tutorial.
Youtube makes it look easy, not sure about in real life. Next time I bag one, I think I'm going to give it a shot.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Captain you catch more fish when you are not fishing, than I catch on the water. Nice haul, thanks for sharing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Good stuff! Gar aren't hard at all to clean when you get the hang of it. I chop the head and tail off with a hatchet or machete, then go down the back with tin snips or pruning shears, and fillet the backstraps out just like you would on a deer. Two pieces of pristine, tasty, white, boneless meat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can't get past the smell of those gar. They have the strongest fish smell of anything I have ever caught
Yet the meat has almost no smell, and doesn't even really taste like fish.

MOTS

Mr. Horace, have you mastered the art of slicing and dicing the flatheads. I am no means an expert, but I have several friends that end up with almost white nuggets when they are finished. Well over half is waste after the red muscle meat and fat is discarded. But they have done thousands of pounds of them and it's some of the best fish you will eat.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I hate to say it Capt., but that's about the prettiest marked gar I've ever seen.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Good stuff Captain

Your fish appears to have a long blade and is probably a gar.
The pic is my grandson with a chain pickerel from Sinclair they are similar 55A5A24A-9330-4C9C-8A47-6B42C3271267.jpeg

olcaptain

Mr. Horace, have you mastered the art of slicing and dicing the flatheads. I am no means an expert, but I have several friends that end up with almost white nuggets when they are finished. Well over half is waste after the red muscle meat and fat is discarded. But they have done thousands of pounds of them and it's some of the best fish you will eat.

I don't waste much