The Plotters Dilemma...

davidhelmly

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
For others, the beauty of a cultipacker, is it seals the soil back up, over the seed, and helps keep it from drying out.

Canuck5

A Farmers Dilemma .... it's soooooooooooo wet at my Brothers Farm, he's brought in a helicopter now, to spread fertilizer on his wheat .... can't get in the field with a tractor or truck ... more rain coming.

davidhelmly

A Farmers Dilemma .... it's soooooooooooo wet at my Brothers Farm, he's brought in a helicopter now, to spread fertilizer on his wheat .... can't get in the field with a tractor or truck ... more rain coming.
Where is your brothers farm Canuck?

Canuck5

Southern Ontario in Canada. BTW, I think you got a little rain this morning.

Triple C

David...I'm looking outside my office and seeing decent clouds building up this afternoon in NW ATL. Hoping you get a nice shower on that recent planting activity.

davidhelmly

We got .03” early this morning and clouds are building now. The yellow star sort of center is my lease and it’s all around.
Maybe we will get a shower out of it!!

AC35CE7A-DCC3-44AA-9A7F-B3D98D472398.jpeg

shdw633

I hope they got some of that rain....I heard the temps will be over 100 degrees over the Memorial Day weekend!!!

doomtrpr_z71

IVE' already spent $11K of our clubs money this year and haven't planted one seed yet! Mainly leases ...... LOL, failure is not in the budget!

So, David, you sprayed glyphosate on your plots and the no-tilled right in that? What mix did you plant?

I know exactly what you’re saying Canuck and I’m on the opposite end, I’ve spent almost 5K on lime, fertilizer and seed but haven’t paid my lease yet! ?

I have to say yall are serious food plotters since yall have spent more on food plots than I have on research plots thus far, even with Brake costing $180 a gallon :ROFLMAO:

Canuck5

Well, David, hopefully you got a little more rain, Thursday night! See any sprouting in what you planted, just after the last rain?

I hope they got some of that rain....I heard the temps will be over 100 degrees over the Memorial Day weekend!!!

She's definitely going to be warm a with a little chance of rain, the end of the month! I was down at our property this weekend and I swear, on Friday, there was thunder all around us.

I have to say yall are serious food plotters since yall have spent more on food plots than I have on research plots thus far, even with Brake costing $180 a gallon :ROFLMAO:

I'm just not as efficient as you are!!!! :) Well, we do have to pay for the leases first, liming and fertilizing, before we can do much else!

Canuck5

Well, I just won't put my "special soybeans" in just any old soil!!!!!!!!!!! :)

davidhelmly

Well, David, hopefully you got a little more rain, Thursday night! See any sprouting in what you planted, just after the last rain?

No more rain since the sprinkle we got last Thur but surprisingly everything is looking good so far.

We had our first club workday last Saturday and we were wide open all day all over the property but I honestly never took the time to look close at the places I planted to see if we had any germination yet, it had been 4 days so if there was some I imagine it would have taken a close look to see it.

The forecast looks really hot and dry but I'm not going to stress over the planting, of course I hope it does well but it's not like I was depending on it exclusively to feed the deer. We've probably got 25-30 acres of clover as our main food plot feed source and the summer mix is just an experiment to see if we could add some variety. I will be planting cereal grain and brassicas into the clover in late Sept / early Oct whether the summer mix produces or not.
All that being said I am still hoping for that elusive summer thunderstorm!! ::;::;

davidhelmly

And I'm backwards I pay leases, and fertilizer later, liming rarely.

I think I'm the one that is backwards, our lease isn't due for a bit so I decided to go ahead to get that lime and fert down while I could! I'm surprised by you saying you rarely lime, is your PH pretty good or is it something that you just don't do? Our PH was high 4's in our plots when we started and I try to keep them in the low-mid 6's now.

Canuck5

No more rain since the sprinkle we got last Thur but surprisingly everything is looking good so far.

We had our first club workday last Saturday and we were wide open all day all over the property but I honestly never took the time to look close at the places I planted to see if we had any germination yet, it had been 4 days so if there was some I imagine it would have taken a close look to see it.

The forecast looks really hot and dry but I'm not going to stress over the planting, of course I hope it does well but it's not like I was depending on it exclusively to feed the deer. We've probably got 25-30 acres of clover as our main food plot feed source and the summer mix is just an experiment to see if we could add some variety. I will be planting cereal grain and brassicas into the clover in late Sept / early Oct whether the summer mix produces or not.
All that being said I am still hoping for that elusive summer thunderstorm!! ::;::;

It's "one of those calls" ..... you had the seed and it was the middle of May, with hotter months in front of you, and you had moisture in the ground. You did what I would've done and hope for the best. It sounds silly, but it was better that you planted into moisture, than to have planted and gotten 3" of rain. Your ground likely would've crusted over and made it very difficult for some of your seeds like soybeans & cowpeas to emerge. You'd have had to come borrow my rotary hoes, to break up the soil, for them to come thru.

If your seeds don't germinate, they will sit there till you do get a nice rain. You planted such a wide variety of seeds, I think you'll get a stand of something!!

Canuck5

I think I'm the one that is backwards, our lease isn't due for a bit so I decided to go ahead to get that lime and fert down while I could! I'm surprised by you saying you rarely lime, is your PH pretty good or is it something that you just don't do? Our PH was high 4's in our plots when we started and I try to keep them in the low-mid 6's now.

He's down in God's Green Acres, where you only need 2000 pounds of lime, to bring his soil up to 6+. LOL, not where we are and like me, needed 3.75 tons/acre to bring it up!

doomtrpr_z71

I'm mean at work, the pH in the delta is pretty well 6.0+, I do have one field that's 5.8 but I'm not liming it this year since it's had so much rain and couldn't get a spreader on it. At home I face the same pH deal.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
You got pics yet David? I'm curious how your's did.

davidhelmly

Elfiii, I honestly have not looked at anything I planted last, it's been 14 days with no rain and none in sight plus these temps so I'm really not expecting anything.