The price of stupid and the benefit of smarts.

GeauxLSU

THE PRICE OF STUPID: This weekend was one of too few doe days in the county I hunt and with the weather I was feeling REAL optimistic. I was rushing a little too quick to hitch a ride to the stand Saturday a.m., a stand I had a LOT of confidence in that I’d be able to take a doe and replenish the dwindling venison supply in my freezer. I get there just before first light and the very first thought that enters my head is, “Well, I’m well camoflauged since I forgot to put on or bring my orange vest!” :rolleyes: Of course, I saw five different does and two were in perfect position with the butcher shop map outline on their bodies and me tasting fresh tenderloin. :banginghe Stupid hurts.
THE BENEFIT OF SMARTS: Next morning I’m in a different stand and now I'm REALLY wanting to get one. About an hour after light, I stare straight ahead into the woods in an area that is NOT a trail or anything that looks like you should see a deer there. After staring at it for a minute or two I catch movement. Eventually I can tell it’s a very well concealed deer working it’s way slowly towards me. About 60 or so yards away it stops, directly facing me and directly behind a tree. It moves it’s head just enough to look at me with one eye. No one has ever hunted this stand and it’s been hanging since before bow season and I’m behind a camo tarp that has also been hanging for weeks. It stared at me for over 10 minutes (literally I checked my watched.) without moving. It then slowly started moving in my direction and stopped broadside at a fence line about 40 yards away with it’s head and rump obscured by some leaves but a very clear shot to it’s neck and vitals. Only problem is, I haven’t been able to 110% verify it’s not a button. Though at this point, I’m thinking "No button is this smart." As I’m staring at this deer through my binos, I notice there is a very small opening through the leaves covering it’s head and it is staring at me with one again! :eek: I’m now starting to cramp up (I also managed to forget a seat cushion – more price of stupid) in that I’ve been in this position, holding up my binos and not twitiching for closing on a half hour. All this deer has to do is move a few inches forward or back so I can see the top of it’s head …. After over 15 minutes, the deer eases out the way it came never presenting a really good shot. Unreal. I am now more convinced than ever, that for every deer I see in the woods, there are 10 that see me first that I never see. :mad: :banginghe
That’s why they call it hunting and not shooting huh? :eek:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

willhunt

Very interesting post...

Sounds to me like that deer you never got a good look at could have been a wise old buck that had been hunted before. The biggest buck I ever saw in the woods did me the same way years ago. My youth (at that time) and stupidity caused me to rush the shot and I missed.

I applaud you for not taking one of the does and worrying about your vest later. A lot of hunters would not have passed up easy venison.

Finally, I hunt where we don't have doe days all season long, too. I feel that this puts more pressure on me to score when the doe days are in. You didn't say what county you were in but if you're in the same block that I'm in, we get a bunch of them beginning next Saturday.

I personally feel that doe days should be all season long statewide, like in the southern zone. If DNR feels this would hurt the overall population, then lower bag limits but let us take a doe whenever the opportunity is presented.

Sorry if I sorta changed the thread but you got me to thinking.

Good huntin'

wh

GeauxLSU

willhunt said:
Sounds to me like that deer you never got a good look at could have been a wise old buck that had been hunted before. The biggest buck I ever saw in the woods did me the same way years ago. My youth (at that time) and stupidity caused me to rush the shot and I missed.
I applaud you for not taking one of the does and worrying about your vest later. A lot of hunters would not have passed up easy venison.
Finally, I hunt where we don't have doe days all season long, too. I feel that this puts more pressure on me to score when the doe days are in. You didn't say what county you were in but if you're in the same block that I'm in, we get a bunch of them beginning next Saturday.
I personally feel that doe days should be all season long statewide, like in the southern zone. If DNR feels this would hurt the overall population, then lower bag limits but let us take a doe whenever the opportunity is presented.
Sorry if I sorta changed the thread but you got me to thinking.
Good huntin'
wh
WH,
The deer was definitely a doe or button (pretty sure it was a doe) since I did get to see it's head just not well enough to able to 'study' it to make sure there were no buttons. :rolleyes:
Yeah, the vest thing was definitely stupid. I try to always do what I say and I say I'm always going to be 100% legal so I didn't pull the trigger. Having said that, I was sure glad a big ole monster buck didn't tempt me :eek: (though I'm sure I'd have still just watched) and I'm glad a ranger didn't show up cuz I'd have been rightfully ticketed even though I did not intend to shoot anything. I kept my rifle loaded in case I saw a yote (matter a fact, one was seen and shot the next morning out of the same stand. :shoot: ) Now reality of me seeing a ranger is about 0% but it's just one of those situations, like countless others, where you get to do the right thing even when you know there's no 'price' to doing the wrong thing. I didn't want to take the 1/2 mile+ walk back to camp and then 1/2 mile+ again back to the stand and scare everything in the process. I was content to have a morning of 'watching'. Also a good lesson, pretty sure I won't forget it again! :banginghe
I hunt in Haralson and actualy didn't realize doe days start again this Saturday! :clap:
I agree exactly with what you said about more doe days but lower limits, and had that very discussion recently with our resident biologist JBowers. It sure would make more sense to me as well. ::huh:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Mac

Doe Days

Haralson: Nov 13 to Dec 5.

Agree with the reasoning mentioned above about the doe days.

DNR sets the # of days per county, but based on the figures from GON. Several counties including Haralson had a larger harvest than many counties (exp Carrol ) with season long doe days.
It should be reasoned it a county has higher harvest it should have a higher population, thus more days?????

Plus, Haralson has many harvest that are not reported, as I am sure other counties.