The Revolutionary Samuel Adams | Book Review

Tight Lines

31358241816.jpg
Just finished the book The Revolutionary Samuel Adams. I've read excerpts about him, but never an entire book about him.

Aside from the book being easy to read and interesting, there were several things that stood out to me...

FIrst, politics as blood sport was alive and well prior to The Revolution...if we think we exaggerate events in the media now, it was commonplace even back then...

Second, I didn't realize how polarizing he was both before and after The Revolution...it really wasn't until generations later that he became the hero he is today...

Third, was just an observation that anyone who doesn't understand the 2A should read this book regarding how the British tried unsuccessfully to disarm the colonies.

The author is good, but there are times I was left wanting to understand more where she paraphrases events or skips over large blocks of time. That's OK as the book was about Adams, but there are areas where I wished for more detail.

All in all if you are looking for a book to read, this would be on my list...

oldfella1962

View attachment 1284293
Just finished the book The Revolutionary Samuel Adams. I've read excerpts about him, but never an entire book about him.

Aside from the book being easy to read and interesting, there were several things that stood out to me...

FIrst, politics as blood sport was alive and well prior to The Revolution...if we think we exaggerate events in the media now, it was commonplace even back then...

Second, I didn't realize how polarizing he was both before and after The Revolution...it really wasn't until generations later that he became the hero he is today...

Third, was just an observation that anyone who doesn't understand the 2A should read this book regarding how the British tried unsuccessfully to disarm the colonies.

The author is good, but there are times I was left wanting to understand more where she paraphrases events or skips over large blocks of time. That's OK as the book was about Adams, but there are areas where I wished for more detail.

All in all if you are looking for a book to read, this would be on my list...
Thanks!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
He was quite a visionary, and extremely determined...relentless, tireless, adept, and a believer of liberty for all...I learned a lot about him and things I didn't know about The Revolution...

"It does not require a majority to prevail; rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in men's minds."

The boy could brew beer and turn a phrase too.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
"It does not require a majority to prevail; rather an irate, tireless minority keen on setting brushfires of freedom in men's minds."

He's always been one of my favorites.

oldfella1962

Why don't politicians/government people speak so eloquently in 2024?
Now they just throw poop. :(

Tight Lines

Just checked out the Audiobook on Libby!
Will be interested in your thoughts...I am not good with audiobooks, most I lose interest due to the voice over not sounding like I hear it in my head...

I do get into one once in a while on a long drive...

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I always thought Sam Adams was a bit of dichotomy. Such a powerful voice against tyranny. Ardent supporter of the fight against unfair taxation. Founder of the Sons of Liberty. Signer of the Declaration.

Fast forward a few short years after the war and he's calling for the heads of the leaders of Shays rebellion. Farmers that had been jailed and had their farms confiscated to pay taxes. These rebels were following the playbook written by Sam Adams himself. And he wanted to see them hanged.

Funny how it works when you're on the other side.

Tight Lines

I always thought Sam Adams was a bit of dichotomy. Such a powerful voice against tyranny. Ardent supporter of the fight against unfair taxation. Founder of the Sons of Liberty. Signer of the Declaration.

Fast forward a few short years after the war and he's calling for the heads of the leaders of Shays rebellion. Farmers that had been jailed and had their farms confiscated to pay taxes. These rebels were following the playbook written by Sam Adams himself. And he wanted to see them hanged.

Funny how it works when you're on the other side.
That was definitely covered in the book. I think the biggest difference that was somewhat explained is his POV against the British was simplified as taxation without representation and military occupation by a monarch whereas the rebellion was internal and against our own elected government. It did impact that ultimate drafting of the The Constitution in the end...

I'm not picking a side, but in his mind there seemed to be a clear delineation...

DAVE

Why don't politicians/government people speak so eloquently in 2024?
Now they just throw poop. :(
Because the electorate tolerates them. Just look at the current President Biden, a blatant coward who hid from Covid in his basement while running for President but yet it is said he received more votes than anyone in history. The American people got a President with values that a least half them can relate to and a President they deserve.

SarahFair

I'm about a quarter way through the book. It's okay so far, it skips around a lot more than I'd like, and it only hints towards the answer to some questions I have.
I guess the author can't come forward and give an answer because there is no actual recorded proof, but sometimes I'm just not picking up what she's putting down.
One example would be "buying" off the sheriff(s) when it came to auctioning of his fathers estate.
How exactly is she implying he bought them off?

Another thing I'm a left a little confused on because of the way its jumping around are the land banks and how they operated and how his father got so wrapped up in it.

Right now it's mainly going over his time as a tax collector.
From what I'm understanding, he was a terrible tax collector, despite being held liable for the taxes he doesn't collect, yet going after his own personal debts he was very successful in, no matter how small the debt was.
Why would he put his bondsmen at risk of such a debt?
Then he gives up his time as a tax collect (or doesn't run for election again) he's very welcomed into political circles, even though the uncollected taxes leaves the city in a bit of a bind.
Do I have that right?

I'm not understanding what the author is trying to insinuate here.
Was he so welcomed into the political circles because the general view of taxes were unfavorable?

Tight Lines

Agree the writing style at times is a bit anemic and choppy. But was still a worthy read.

The land banks were essentially just like any rural farm and land bank of today. They loaned money based on the property as collateral. Because England restricted money supply and limited the colonies from printing money, land banks popped as a way toward liquidity and colonial money supply. Wealthy individuals pooled their money and loaned it to landowners through the land bank in colonial money, like a home equity line. The money then flowed into the economy and the landowners paid it back over time. It was somewhat akin to the Federal Reserve banks of today in that respect. When England shut them down, the individuals that had loaned the money as I understand it were left with the debts. That's where it is fuzzy to me on the mechanics. @elfiii can probably explain it! That was Adam's dad's issue.

As for his time as a tax collector, he was never good with money and managing it, though he was like a hound on a pork chop when he wanted to do something.

I don't think most liked the taxes or tax collectors, irrespective of how it impacted the colonies and cities.

I think he was accepted into politics based on his persuasion skills and prolific writings among many other things. He was a master at telling a story was my take away, even if it wasn't entirely or sometimes even remotely accurate...