The Roswell Chicken Man Found Dead

SarahFair

"Roswell's Chicken Man Found Dead after House Explosion

ROSWELL, Ga. - The body of a man facing eviction was found inside his Roswell home after an apparent explosion on Monday morning.

According to Roswell authorities, Andrew Wordes was facing eviction for after falling behind on mortgage payments after several code violations of his home landed him in jail. Authorities were delivering the eviction notice when Wordes apparently blew up his house.

Wordes was known as the Roswell "Chicken Man." He fought city officials to let him keep his chickens in his yard. City officials ultimately denied his request.

Authorities said Wordes told marshalls to get off his property shortly before the explosion."

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/new...hicken-Man-Rocked-by-Explosion-20120326-pm-sd

I have been following his story for awhile now. Its a sad one for sure. The odds were wrongfully stacked against him and I guess it just took too much out of him.

I hope people will now listen and take a stand. Its just sad it took this.

georgia357

So sad, RIP Mr. Wordes.::;

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
You will see more and more similar stories.

SarahFair

I hated to see that. He had a pretty sucky year!

This has been going on for years..
I got this off BYC

CHRONOLOGY OF EVENTS

* December 2008: Roswell Zoning Department issues a warning for the chickens on his property. (At that time, the City of Roswell’s Code of Ordinances said “On less than two acres you MAY NOT have livestock except for poultry and swine.”) The City decided to issue a citation anyway. Mayor Wood attempts to step in and stop the city, but the city moves forward. Both parties head to court.
* Spring 2009: Mr. Wordes hires former Georgia Governor Roy Barnes to represent him against the city. Both parties presented their cases to Judge Maurice Hilliard who issued a dismissal of the case against the Chicken Man.

Summer 2009: The Roswell City Council rewrites the law, without a ‘grandfather clause’, to make all but 6 chickens on a property illegal–directly targeting and affecting Mr. Wordes. The law further states that the ‘legal’ chickens must remain in a permanent enclosure.**
(**Mr. Wordes property sits on a flood plain. 3-4 feet of water rises on his property when it storms. Because of this, the city would not issue a permit for a permanent enclosure, therefore making it ‘illegal’ for him to have his birds. This is important because after the storms and flooding in September 2009, with a 6 foot storm surge of Storm Water the sewer backed causing 4 feet of Storm Water and SEWAGE in the basement of his home. In order to save his home AND his chickens, Mr. Wordes borrowed a BobCat to move the dirt around. He was subsequently issued citations for too many chickens, grading of property without a permit and too many cars on his property. The City also would not submit requests for FEMA funds for the property. The property has flooded several times since this initial flood.)

* Additionally
* The City of Roswell contacted Mr. Wordes mortgage holder, an elderly woman who has held his mortgage for the entirety of his 16 years in his home. With the threat of liens, citations and grievances, the City pressures Wordes’ mortgage broker into SELLING the note to another broker for 50 cents on the dollar. The current mortgage broker is attempting to foreclose on Mr. Wordes home.
* Mr. Wordes reports to court for his citations after the flood. Judge Hilliard again rules in his favor stating that he is ‘grandfathered in’ to the new law, but must complete 180 hours of community service for the illegal grading and the excessive number of cars on his property. Unbeknown to him, his sentence of Community service also requested him to be on probation which he was unaware of and immediately requested that he be allowed to pay the fine.
* Mr. Wordes is harassed by the Roswell Police Department as well. He is pulled over more times than we can count, thrown in jail on multiple occasions, and given a number of petty citations. It’s common for multiple police cars to sit at the end of Mr. Wordes street and ‘wait’.
* The City of Roswell files Zoning violation for having a Nuisance property and he is appointed a Public Defender of course to be paid for by The City of Roswell. His court appointed counsel states in court that the ordinance is vague and the city will likely lose again.
* Roswell later additionally files a 55-page civil suit against Mr. Wordes in an attempt to take his property from him again charging him with having a Nuisance property. This is the first civil suit to attempt to take a man’s property in the history of Roswell. This civil suit was filed in attempt to deny Mr. Wordes his right to a public defender, as he can no longer afford to pay for representation. Fortunately because of Mr. Wordes involvement with Georgia Carry, they have provided legal representation for him.
* The City lists Mr. Wordes home on the ‘Roswell 2030 Plan’ as a green space and parks area, publicly announcing and solidifying their effort to take his property. (View the plan here http://www.roswellgov.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=1552 –the road you’re looking for is Alpine Drive. Can you believe this? He is still the lawful owner of his property but the City has a 20-year-plan to dissolve that. Note that Mr. Wordes has offered to SELL his property to the City, but they have declined. Instead, they want to take the long and painful route of forcing him into foreclosure so the property can be purchased at a reduced price. This would also prevent Roswell from having to face pending lawsuit for damages, "inverse condemnation" and taking of his property, and the many civil rights and due process suits which would follow.
* July 2011: Mr. Wordes leaves his home to attend a political rally. When he returns home, he finds that all of his chickens have been let out and feed is all over the ground. The next day, his birds begin to die. Mr. Wordes realizes that someone has poisoned his birds. Over the course of the next few days, Mr. Wordes loses 1/3 of his livestock, including 45 baby turkeys (10 of which belonged to Roswell Mayor Jere Wood), 25 chicks and 6 adult birds. I spoke with Mr. Wordes personally and he claims there is no doubt in his mind who was behind the poisoning. He alleges that it was his next door neighbor who has rallied with the city through this entire process. You see, Mr. Wordes has a very private backyard that is surrounded by woods. From the street, however, it would appear that people were home because there were a couple of cars parked in the driveway. Unfortunately, Mr. Wordes posted on his Facebook page that he would be attending this political rally. Mr. Wordes has indications that lead him to believe that his neighbor monitors the page through other names (via his neighbors own personal website that has a page dedicated to ‘The Chicken Man’). Mr. Wordes alleges that this neighbor is the only one that would 1) know the seclusion of the property, 2) have access to the property in addition to knowing where everything is and 3) have a motive to commit such an atrocity. A police report has been filed, but is not moving forward at this point due to the lack of proof. The birds were taken to two different forensic labs to determine the source of poisoning but the necropsies have not yet returned. In the meantime, this has become an economic hardship on Mr. Wordes since he cannot sell the eggs from his hens since the poisoning.

* Mr. Wordes is due in court August 10 at 2:30pm (a specially scheduled hearing on a day the court is not usually in session) . The hearing is public at the Roswell Municipal Court. He will be arguing a probation violation for missing a ‘check-in’ over the time his birds had been poisoned. At that hearing Mr Wordes is taken into custody and ordered to serve the remainer of his probation for a trumped up zoning violation amounting to 99 days in jail.
* Roswell of course invited the press and issued a press release stating Mr Wordes house is vacant and the RPD will be keeping an eye on things. Of course with in hours, began the three month long ransacking and looting of his home. Everything of value was stolen or destroyed including a large collection of firearms, weapons and ammunition that in the hands of criminals puts the entire community at risk.

Mr. Wordes was foreclosed on while he was in jail for 3 month (for a minor city zoning violation). When jailed the Roswell Police refused his access to his records, to contact his Bankruptcy attorney, was refused to attend a court ordered hearing held for the benefit of him and his creditors in United States Federal Bankruptcy Court and by doing so Roswell refused to allow Mr. Wordes to provide the Bankruptcy Trustee with documentation he had ordered him to provide. That information gave the Bankruptcy Trustee the right to HALT the foreclosure on his home of 16 years while still protecting the mortgage holder.
Roswell opened their court room and held court on an unscheduled day instead of waiting until the next week and maade an annoinccemnt to the press stating his house would be vacant and Roswell Police would keep an eye on it. It was less than 24 hours before the City Chief, Dwain Orr and The CIty Manager Kay Love were informed in a meeting with a prominent citizen that Mr Wordes house had already been the scene of a burglary and looting and Mr Wordes had a extensive firearms collection. Their statement was that they were not going to do anything and thanks to Roswell there is a large cache of weapons and ammo in the hands of criminals.

IF NO ONE DOES ANYTHING, JUST THINK, THIS COULD HAPPEN TO YOU OR ONE OF YOUR FAMILY NEXT!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can read more about what is happened by following these links.

https://theperspicaciousconservativ...ight-for-his-constitutionally-awarded-rights/

http://theperspicaciousconservative.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/the-fate-of-the-chicken-man/

http://theperspicaciousconservative...f-the-week-andrew-wordes-roswell-chicken-man/

bamaboy

Just another example of BIG GOVERNMENT even in small cities. This is a perfect example of the dang goobernment stickin their noses where it don't belong! Mr. Wordes was pushed and pushed and just said the heck with it, if I can't live my life how I want to then well the heck with living! So sad to see he was pushed to this - his breaking point. Mr. Wordes may you rest in peace and may you have as many chickens as you want in the afterlife.

MTMiller

All of this over some chickens and minor zoning violations. I hope the truth is uncovered in all of this. RIP Mr. Wordes.

Eddy M.

GONetwork Member
Just another example of BIG GOVERNMENT even in small cities. This is a perfect example of the dang goobernment stickin their noses where it don't belong! Mr. Wordes was pushed and pushed and just said the heck with it, if I can't live my life how I want to then well the heck with living! So sad to see he was pushed to this - his breaking point. Mr. Wordes may you rest in peace and may you have as many chickens as you want in the afterlife.

They basically killed him over a flock of chickens ---- RIP he stood up for what he belived and gave it all Eddy m.

Sweetwater

Freakin tyrants...same as the ones that shut down Seven Flags Speedway here in Douglas county so "they" could get rich on a big development.

Then came 2008. :rofl::rofl:

hancock husler

My best friend was the the eviction guy in route to the chicken man's house.

Sweetwater

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/new...hicken-Man-Rocked-by-Explosion-20120326-pm-sd

I have been following his story for awhile now. Its a sad one for sure. The odds were wrongfully stacked against him and I guess it just took too much out of him.

I hope people will now listen and take a stand. Its just sad it took this.

Sadly...most folks just don't give a dang. Private property rights are what separate us from being "subjects" instead of citizens...but let a little money get involved....

If the family that owned Seven Flags....if the chickenman don't have the right to own private property without fear that some city/county bigshot will get eyes and take their property...none of us do.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
This occurred about 200 yards from my house - I watched the chopper hovering, smelled the smoke and listened to the melee. It is a shame it ended this way...

DAVE

This was not about chickens, it was about stealing his home. This is a good example of how well your legal rights and freedoms will protect you here in the land of the free. Maybe when they pull the troops out of Afganistan the can deploy to D.C. and try to liberate Americans.

SarahFair

This was not about chickens, it was about stealing his home. This is a good example of how well your legal rights and freedoms will protect you here in the land of the free.

Exactly.

NOYDB

BANNED
If they wanted to build a Football stadium there it wouldn't have been drug out as long........

Sweetwater

Thank you Sarah..for posting. Someone needs to care.

SarahFair

Thank you Sarah..for posting. Someone needs to care.

We all do.
That man lived in his home for 16 years before the city sunk their teeth into him.
Makes me feel like no one is safe.

boneboy96

Makes me sad to say that I live within Roswell.