The unsinkable Titanic

NOYDB

BANNED
Wifey is reading some first person accounts of the sinking recorded by survivors. Early marketing hype.

NOYDB

BANNED
Some parts I found interesting -

When asked some first class passengers didn't know how to row a boat.

The cptn went down with the ship. But the company rep made sure he was on a lifeboat.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
If they had had marijuana on the boat it wouldn’t have sank. The marijuana would have fixed the hole and the ship would have kept going
There were a lot of hats used as flotation devises. They showed us that technique in the Navy

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If they had had marijuana on the boat it wouldn’t have sank. The marijuana would have fixed the hole and the ship would have kept going

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

My sides hurt now.

Oldstick

Wifey is reading some first person accounts of the sinking recorded by survivors. Early marketing hype.

Did these survivors's accounts go along and agree with the marketing hype? Did any of them get interviewed later after possibly having lost their loved ones and after hearing the true account of what happened to the ship?

NOYDB

BANNED
Did these survivors's accounts go along and agree with the marketing hype? Did any of them get interviewed later after possibly having lost their loved ones and after hearing the true account of what happened to the ship?

Unsinkable? A steel hulled ship?

They make great reefs and fish houses.

People were advised that even tho all others had sunk the Titanic wouldn't. That taking a cruise on it was safer. It was billed that way before it was launched and people believed them till it hit an iceberg. Supposedly the way the bulkheads between compartments were designed it would not fill with waster even if a compartment was breached. Except they didn't keep the bulkheads closed underway.

When they entered a known iceberg strewn area they were ordered (by the co rep who made sure he got on a lifeboat) To go as fast as they could. Even tho the capt wanted to slow down he was overridden by the co rep.

Night blindness due to a lack of carrots in the crews diet. Had to do a root cause in training on the sinking

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Then you take your pants off..tie the legs together..sling them over your head to fill with air..works when it has to.
Them bell bottoms served a purpose. Easy to get off in the water

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Funny how much air them thangs will hold when wet.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Water temp would have made the inflated pants impossible to hold onto after a very short time.

Co. reps. did not and do not order ship's captains on the open sea to do much of anything. They may make all the suggestions they wish, but the captain makes the decisions and issues the orders. If the co. rep. has the authority, he can fire the captain and hire another, but that is pretty much it.

Oldstick

Unsinkable? A steel hulled ship?

They make great reefs and fish houses.

People were advised that even tho all others had sunk the Titanic wouldn't. That taking a cruise on it was safer. It was billed that way before it was launched and people believed them till it hit an iceberg. Supposedly the way the bulkheads between compartments were designed it would not fill with waster even if a compartment was breached. Except they didn't keep the bulkheads closed underway.

When they entered a known iceberg strewn area they were ordered (by the co rep who made sure he got on a lifeboat) To go as fast as they could. Even tho the capt wanted to slow down he was overridden by the co rep.

Sorry, I agree. I understand the point you were making now. The passengers were indeed mislead by the marketing. Then they were done a double dirty deed by the big wheels of the company trying to prove how fast it was by overriding the crew's judgment. At first I thought you were intending to place blame on the surviving passengers' accounts. My mistake.

NOYDB

BANNED
Vietnam made popular a term. Fraging. Shooting an officer who gives stupid orders. A sea captain that gave stupid orders would learn to walk the plank miles from shore. Co reps gave suggestions. Ignoring their suggestions meant finding a new berth for the next trip. I am talking about what actually happened. Not some dewy eyed belief in what was supposed to happen.

LTZ25

What caused the Titanic to sink was the the first mate got sick or fired ( I can't remember but its true ) just before the trip and he had the key to the cabinet where the binoculars were kept for the guys in the crows nest and they could not see very good in the cold without them and did not see the iceberg until to late to avoid it .
Also the iceberg was in a FIRE LANE .

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Vietnam made popular a term. Fraging. Shooting an officer who gives stupid orders. A sea captain that gave stupid orders would learn to walk the plank miles from shore. Co reps gave suggestions. Ignoring their suggestions meant finding a new berth for the next trip. I am talking about what actually happened. Not some dewy eyed belief in what was supposed to happen.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have no doubt that the captain received a considerable amount of pressure to make a fast crossing from the Company reps and higher placed folks as well. You realize of course that in your explanation you have the captain bowing to this pressure and in effect choosing suicide, the loss of his ship and all that he had built over a life's career, and the deaths of hundreds of others, over finding another birth.

You also realize that the captain's birth on the Titanic for its first crossing was likely the choice berth in civilian shipping at the time. His locating other suitable employment would not have been a difficult task. Suicide, on the other hand, would be a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

The Company might have hired a spineless captain whose judgment they could countermand but it is highly unlikely that this is what they did. The decision was the captain's to make and I believe that he made it without any countermanding of his orders by someone without the authority to to do so.

Dewey eyed, I know right, and but that's how I roll.