Thermacell and snakes

Ruger roo

Was wondering if I'm the only one that has problems with snakes coming in on my thermacell. Last evening had a cotton mouth I think slither right under my leg while sitting in my turkey lounger. Usually I'll see them before they get close but caught this one peeking it's head under my leg and praying it wouldn't bite

Attachments

• IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 449

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I`ve never noticed snakes of any kind around my Thermocell, and I live in Snake Central.

That is a cottonmouth you have pictured.

Dirtroad Johnson

Was wondering if I'm the only one that has problems with snakes coming in on my thermacell. Last evening had a cotton mouth I think slither right under my leg while sitting in my turkey lounger. Usually I'll see them before they get close but caught this one peeking it's head under my leg and praying it wouldn't bite

Dang, glad you saw him before you made a move that might have startled him.

hikingthehills

It’s amazing how quietly they can move, I had a 5 foot black snake nudge my foot about 5 years ago. I’m not sure who was more shocked, me or him!

1982ace

Had a timber rattler do the same thing to me a few years back while a buddy and I were sitting on the ground. Had thermacell on the ground between us and heard light rustling of leaves behind us. I jumped up he crawled slowly the other way

Curvebow05

Definitely a cottonmouth. I believe as mentioned above that the heat difference probably attracts them. Kind of like the mosquitoes to my wife when she thinks about going outside. Sad thing there is if she's outside with me and covered in bug spray, they still go to her. Anywho, the way predatory animals find their prey is pretty amazing sometimes.

swamp hunter

Interesting Theory to test..
Who's gonna light one up and set it at the Swamp edge and go check it in the morning..?

Ruger roo

this was the first cotton mouth had at least 3 copperheads come up to me in the last few years. I pretty sure that the heat source is mimicking a small animal.

Blackston

I say therma cell and a trail camera

Latest posts