Thermometer for stream temp

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Digital. I ain't got time for mercury, and don't want to clean up broken glass in my vest.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Any instrument is only as accurate as the manufacturer made it. I used to carry a digital William Joseph thermometer, but took it out when I went through a vest reduction and never put it back. Why do you need one? Is it going to determine if you fish or not? I figure, knowing the stream temp is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. It's not going to dictate how or when I fish.

JonathanG2013

Any instrument is only as accurate as the manufacturer made it. I used to carry a digital William Joseph thermometer, but took it out when I went through a vest reduction and never put it back. Why do you need one? Is it going to determine if you fish or not? I figure, knowing the stream temp is more to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. It's not going to dictate how or when I fish.

You have a point there. I guess we are going to fish not mater what the temp is.

Aren't the trout less active if the water temp is above like 65 degrees? Isn't it the colder water the better.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
You have a point there. I guess we are going to fish not mater what the temp is.

Aren't the trout less active if the water temp is above like 65 degrees? Isn't it the colder water the better.

To an extent, yes. And they get sluggish in water below 40 degrees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In over 45 years of fishing, I have yet to measure the temperature of the water, except maybe when it pops up on a boat depth finder.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I also have never measured a stream temp. During the dog days of summer I head to higher elevations and cooler water.
Yep. I fish the valley streams early and late in the year, and the higher creeks in the later summer.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Yep. I fish the valley streams early and late in the year, and the higher creeks in the later summer.

That's about the size of it. Follow that rule and leave the thermometer on the shelf. Spend that money on a fine cigar. Or a Swisher Sweet if that's your thing...;)

JonathanG2013

Thanks for all your great info NGSM and NCHillbilly still new to fly fishing. Mainly fish with spinning reel and bait caster.

Taxman

I don't use one either. I usually check area water temps and flows before
I head out on a trip. All of my trips require long drive or flight
and my schedule allows me to plan appropriately.

Never used one. Just got back from VT and the bite was slow. Water temps were 64 degrees. At least that’s what a guy a ran into said. Slow rollin streamers were the ticket.

Buckman18

I usually perform the Shrinkage test (patent pending).

If you are thigh deep and still swinging, then the water is too warm and you need to increase elevation to find colder water.

If you experience retraction, you are good to fish.

flyrod444

Buckman, I've always referred to this as was wadding up to ones thermostat or manometer. It does give one a more accurate ideal of how cold the water is for sure.

I usually perform the Shrinkage test (patent pending).

If you are thigh deep and still swinging, then the water is too warm and you need to increase elevation to find colder water.

If you experience retraction, you are good to fish.

I stepped on mine a couple months ago performing this test...tripped, fell, separated my shoulder. Made for a rough last few weeks.

Buckman18

I stepped on mine a couple months ago performing this test...tripped, fell, separated my shoulder. Made for a rough last few weeks.

You wish. :cool: