They Don`t Get No Fresher

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Gathered yesterday, chilled overnight (since we haven`t had a frost on em yet), and on a slow simmer with smoked hog jowl, dab of lard, shot of vinegar, and seasonings. They gonna be fit to eat.collards2018.jpgfresh collards.jpg

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I’ve always hated collards. I always catch myself eating them anyway.
Even tonight. H-ate em up.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Someone came by my place with fresh today....almost got some..told him to hit me next trip...maybe they'll have some natural frost on them by then :)

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Have mercy! Collards are my favorite greens. Nice golf cart too!

Capt Quirk

That is a favorite fallback recipe, when I either don't want to do much, or when money is tight. I also like mustard or turnip greens, use some bay seasoning, onions, and a cup of rice for extra.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Mercy ! Where’s the conebread ?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Oh Man Yeah!!!!!

Patriot44

Banned
I love the smell of collards cooking but as southern as I am, I can't eat em, same with grits. I can get both of them to my mouth with a smile and then it's down hill from there.

Those do look good tho.

naildrvr

Goodgoshamighty man, ain't no finer eatin' than a pot of fresh collards! The best I ever had was just sweated down in a black iron frying pan with fat back or hawg jowl, which ever the fella had on hand at the time. Those look exceptional.

JonathanG2013

Gathered yesterday, chilled overnight (since we haven`t had a frost on em yet), and on a slow simmer with smoked hog jowl, dab of lard, shot of vinegar, and seasonings. They gonna be fit to eat.View attachment 948622View attachment 948623

Looks great Nic. Brings back good memories. My dad's mom used to have a garden and we would have collard greens all the time. She would also make a pan of corn bread to go with it.

I bet those were good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mighty fine eating! You got a healthy stand of trees started back there, pecan?

Thanks, ya`ll.

Champ, that`s my buddy`s field that runs up to my back fence. He turned it it into a 2,500 tree pecan orchard year before last. Hurricane Michael did break off a good many of them at the graft, but he was lucky. All the older more established orchards around here are mostly flattened now.