Thinking about a new rifle.

lonewolf247

Tikka euro optics is running a deal on them right now.. then top it with a meopta meopro scope and you will spend under 1k and have a tack driver!

That's a really good suggestion! I would look at the Tikka and the Weatherby Vanguard. Although pretty different rifles, the way they are made, they are both very accurate and solid choices, at a reasonable price.

I think you could easily buy one of these rifles, and have enough money left over to buy a really good Meopta scope, for about $1000 total, or possibly a Swarovski Z3, and still come in ~$1500.

Buckman18

In addition to the M70 Supergrade, I’d also suggest the Extreme Weather Stainless and the featherweight. I liked them all so well I have one of each.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Don't cross the Browning BAR off your list. They are plenty accurate and if you have a chance to harvest 2 or more at a time it reloads so fast the deer don't hear it and you can drop the second deer before it runs. I have done it quite a few times.

Attachments

• 30-06 BAR .JPG
    30-06 BAR .JPG
    265 KB · Views: 8

lonewolf247

^Yes the Bar is a great suggestion as well! Usually when people want a new rifle, I just take it for granted they want a good bolt action. I have several good bolt action rifles, but truth be known, my main rifle is a Bar. Mine is every bit as accurate as my bolt actions. Actually my longest shots to date have been with my Bar.

So, if your considering a semi-auto, don’t be afraid to go with a Browning Bar.

M77 Ruger

I have always been a Ruger m77 guy. I own 4 different ones in this model. That said I now have 2 tikka t3x in 6.5 creedmoor and 270 wsm. They are hands down the best shooting and Smoothies rifle I have ever owned. I mean crazy accurate. I plan to buy one more rifle and it will either be a sako or browning hells canyon long range. This will be all the rifles I will ever need for hunting

Reactions: Dub

Brother David

I can't believe no said Ruger American . Maybe the most accurate budget rifle being built ( legitimate 1000 yard rifle ) and top it with a nice piece of glass and for $800 dollar package you have a rifle way more accurate than any of Us .
Plus you can get your choice of the most popular calibers including the magnums .

Iron ghost

For production guns, it’s hard to beat the current Winchester model 70’s, imo.

That extreme weather version is a heck of a gun.
Hand lay up composite stock with aluminum bedding block, free floated fluted barrel, Mauser short or long action, 3 position safety, amazing trigger, etc.
And light weight.
That’s a lot of gun for the asking price.

The next gun I get will probably be one of the little model 70 featherweight compacts in .308.

Big7

The Oracle
Can't hardly go wrong with a Ruger.
I have several rifles and one revolver.

American made too! MAGA!

br6ppc

The next gun I get will probably be one of the little model 70 featherweight compacts in .308.
That rifle is on my short list of guns to buy. I want one to go with my M70 Fwt 300 WSM. If Winchester would bring out the compact in 358 Win, I would buy that in a heartbeat.
Also, Winchester and Browning are running rebates during Thanksgiving. $100 rebate on M70 rifles

Last edited:

sleepr71

Do you want stainless/synthetic ,or blued/walnut? I went stainless/synthetic just for peace of mind in nasty weather & it doesn’t rust/dent/scratch like walnut! My vote: Tikka T3,or Sako 75 Finnlight. Next thing to a custom rifle. Easily adjustable trigger. All stainless components. Not a speck of rust in 10 yrs of HARD use?

GunnSmokeer

If you already have a bolt-action .30-06 that you like, and you prefer synthetic stocks on hunting guns and want a nice trigger, but you want a new gun in a smaller-bore caliber, I'd suggest:

* Ruger American, Predator model (threaded barrel) in 6.5 Creedmoor. Even if you don't ever want to own a silencer, the threaded muzzle can be used to put on a simple flash hider or compensator, which also serves as a muzzle crown protector. If you're going to ding up something when you slip on the trail, ding up a $29 flash hider rather than your guns' real muzzle and crown.
Experimenting with different weight muzzle accessories, or taking a cheap military surplus flash hider and grinding/cutting it down a few mm at a time may be a way of "tuning" the barrel harmonics to give you the tightest groups.
https://ruger.com/products/americanRiflePredator/models.html

* Weatherby Vanguard Stainless, in 7mm-08, or .270 Win,
with a 24" stainless steel barrel.
It also has an adjustable match-grade trigger.
http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardr-stainless-synthetic.html

Geezer Ray

I just bought a Tikka TX3 in .308 and only been able to get to the range with it. Out of the box at 100 yds was fantastic. Going to the woods tomorrow. Christensen Arms Mesa and Ridgeline are supper nice also.

4togo

I have a Browning A Bolt, two X Bolts, Two winchester featherweight. All are plenty accurate enough, it's just finding the right ammo. I may give the edge to the X Bolt. I would give some serious consideration to the 25-06 or the 260. My favorite is the 7mm-08. Good luck!

baddave

i've been using tikka t3 for the last 2 seasons and am falling in love w/ it the more i carry it - .260 rem. only thing i have to get used to is bolt will not function w/ safety on . i used a 3 position. safety w/ win. fw for so many years it just kind of hmmm.the bolt is so smooth it can be aggravating .. tilt the gun 1 degree and it slides.. all in all though it shoots and kills .. sweetness extremeness. climbing trees and walking a long ways i love the light weight.. also it's SO slick, wood and steel . i put some sandpaper tape in some strategic spots cause i was scared i was going to drop it from the tree., it's hard changing guns after about 30 or 40 yrs but i'm gettin it:cheers:

Dub

i've been using tikka t3 for the last 2 seasons and am falling in love w/ it the more i carry it - .260 rem. only thing i have to get used to is bolt will not function w/ safety on . i used a 3 position. safety w/ win. fw for so many years it just kind of hmmm.the bolt is so smooth it can be aggravating .. tilt the gun 1 degree and it slides.. all in all though it shoots and kills .. sweetness extremeness. climbing trees and walking a long ways i love the light weight.. also it's SO slick, wood and steel . i put some sandpaper tape in some strategic spots cause i was scared i was going to drop it from the tree., it's hard changing guns after about 30 or 40 yrs but i'm gettin it:cheers:

I know what you mean.

I bought a T3 a couple years back...and put a Meopta on it. It's been boresighted, but I need to get it to the 200 yd range and shoot it some.
I'm not that big a fan on the stock....it'll get it done, though. The thing is slippery with fleece gloves on. I may put some grip tape on mine.

The bolt on those Tikkas is so, so smooth.

Looking forward to finally hunting with this rifle next deer season...hopefully.

baddave

here's that tape i was braggin' bout--helps me tremendously

Attachments

• Tkka T3.jpg
    Tkka T3.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 19

Dub

here's that tape i was braggin' bout--helps me tremendously

Oh yeah. That looks like it would work really well.

I wish I'd have bought the wood stocked version T3, but at the time the synthetic model I bought was on a crazy sale that I couldn't walk away from.