Thinking about a new rifle.

Balrog

Tikka's are good rifles, but I think they are all long actions, even if you are shooting a short action round like 308. Something irks me about using a long action rifle for a short action cartridge.

lonewolf247

Tikka's are good rifles, but I think they are all long actions, even if you are shooting a short action round like 308. Something irks me about using a long action rifle for a short action cartridge.
This doesn't seem to bother a lot of people, but I'm in agreement with you on short action calibers, built on long action platforms. It sorta irks me.

Speaking on the Tikka though, I think it's a great rifle. I've been wanting one myself. That being said, I really don't want a short action caliber, then I already have rifles, in most standard long action calibers. A couple of the magnums interest me, but being a lite rifle, the felt recoil is probably pretty stiff.

I think if a bought a Tikka, I'd want one in the 6.5x55. That caliber interest me, it's old school and still a great all around choice.

Jester896

Senior Clown

it is good for hand loading...or customs... but maybe not so good for only using factory ammo....sometimes it is nice to be able to load out without running out of mag box.

Is it the Remmy M24 that is built on the same lines as this.

lonewolf247

it is good for hand loading...or customs... but maybe not so good for only using factory ammo....sometimes it is nice to be able to load out without running out of mag box.

Is it the Remmy M24 that is built on the same lines as this.

You did come up with one advantage I didn't think of, but it's sorta cancelled out by a few disadvantages, of being built on long action.

The Remington M24 was built that way, for the military, but the concept was to be able convert the rifle to a .300 Winchester Magnum.

In the case of the Tikka, it's basically a manufacturing short cut, to only have to make one action length receiver. Other manufactures are doing the same thing, and many other short cuts as well. It's all about cutting cost. Tikka has improved on a few other areas over the years, and are superior to low cost offerings by other manufactures, but this is one I think they still do.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep swap a bolt and a barrel for .308-.300 Win Mag.
I have in L/A with a short case, .260WSM, I haven't run it enough to like or dislike it. That was the only advantage as far as I was concerned was loading out.

I also see the tooling and costs benefit in manufacturing...not sure I would like it on every rifle I owned :)