Thinking about selling my 2019 F-150….need some advice

BBQOutdoors77

I’ve got a 2019 F-150 3.5 10 speed with 52k on it. The transmission is shifting really hard between 1st and 3rd. It idles rough while stopped in drive and the check engine light has gone on and off a few times.

I’ve been to the Ford dealer in Woodstock on 3 different occasions and they keep giving me the runaround. Everything from it’s not throwing codes, to it doesn’t drive like that when we drive it, etc….

I’ve read horror stories in other groups/forums about the 10 speed transmissions. Why can’t manufacturers just stick with the good old 6 speeds instead of all this high torque eco friendly crap!

Anyway, for those who’ve had Rams how have they been? I’m thinking either a run of the mill Cummings 6.7 tradesman or a 1500.

Redbow

We have had 3 Dodge trucks here over the years , all were bullet proof. But if you buy one now days, your mileage may vary. Same way with Ford and GM IMO, they ain't making them like they used to.

earlthegoat2

Why can’t manufacturers just stick with the good old 6 speeds instead of all this high torque eco friendly crap!

I don’t know if this question is rhetorical or not but it is one of the methods manufacturers use to meet EPA CAFE standards. Corporate Average Fuel Economy.

Engine efficiency measures have been played out I guess so they have taken too many geared automatic transmissions so ideal shifting can be controlled by a specifically programmed computer. That in conjunction with ludicrously small engines that are inherently more fuel efficient can trick folks into thinking there is no difference between that and a big displacement engine and a few less gears. Transmissions, particularly automatics have always been a fragile point on vehicles. This just makes them more so.

This is also why manual transmissions have virtually disappeared from the automotive market. With those, the shift points are controlled by the driver and not the the all knowing digital programming.

Make of that what you wish

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest getting away from the Mexican/Canadian brands, and get a good American-made truck, like a Nissan or Toyota. You won't have any issues then.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
the major problem you will have with a Toyota is it's inability to pass a gas station without putting fuel in it
My Nissan isn't bad for a 4WD, averages about 20mpg. And it has a big V6 with about 6800lbs towing capacity.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
the major problem you will have with a Toyota is it's inability to pass a gas station without putting fuel in it
My Nissan isn't bad for a 4WD, averages about 20mpg. And it has a big V6 with about 6800lbs towing capacity.
Ive had both and still have 2000 Yota with 208K miles (daily driver). Even though I am having some starter/battery issues that I am working through, pretty much maintenance free; but you are not wrong.

I'll pay a little extra in MPG for the reliability return.

snooker1

I’ve got a 2019 F-150 3.5 10 speed with 52k on it. The transmission is shifting really hard between 1st and 3rd. It idles rough while stopped in drive and the check engine light has gone on and off a few times.

I’ve been to the Ford dealer in Woodstock on 3 different occasions and they keep giving me the runaround. Everything from it’s not throwing codes, to it doesn’t drive like that when we drive it, etc….

I’ve read horror stories in other groups/forums about the 10 speed transmissions. Why can’t manufacturers just stick with the good old 6 speeds instead of all this high torque eco friendly crap!

Anyway, for those who’ve had Rams how have they been? I’m thinking either a run of the mill Cummings 6.7 tradesman or a 1500.

I feel your pain. I have a 2019 F250 Superduty that has 77 thousand miles on it but has spent more time on the rack at Ford than in my driveway. I traded in a F150 that had 180,000 miles on it and never had a single issue. And the service department at Ford is a joke, vehicle under warranty that breaks down and has to be towed there and they told me it would be 3 weeks before they could get to it (that didn't go well) needless to say they had it fixed in 2 days. I have been seriously thinking of getting rid of it and getting something different. This was the last new vehicle I will ever buy.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
I would add that with the UAW strike and who it mainly affects, you ought to wait a few weeks. Could get a little bit extra in that trade in. It sounds like Uncle Joe is making this a campaign message. ;)

twtabb

Had to replace a vehicle. Be driving fords since 2009. Went with a 2019 Tacoma, 4 door six cyl. Going to take some getting use to but drove Mazdas in 80 & 90’s.

killerv

I would add that with the UAW strike and who it mainly affects, you ought to wait a few weeks. Could get a little bit extra in that trade in. It sounds like Uncle Joe is making this a campaign message. ;)
But wouldn't that little extra just go towards the extra they are gonna ask for his next vehicle due to the strike?