This is the beginning: Shortened Season

Garnto88

It takes the Pinhoti project to get me to next year. Shorter season will be tough and I go out west also. Florida here I come also with our season shortened...

Not sure how shortening the season will impact numbers. A lot more factors to consider.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Sorry to be the odd ball here but how bout everyone do what they think is needed for a healthy turkey population on there own property!!!
The state will do what they think needs to be done, (or test ideas) on public property.
Private property take care of yourselves!

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Hunting SC WMA's should make GA WMA hunters feel lucky. There's a two week delay from the start of the regular season and hunting is prohibited on Sundays and that's been the case from the beginning of time. Gil

Gut_Pile

Hunting SC WMA's should make GA WMA hunters feel lucky. There's a two week delay from the start of the regular season and hunting is prohibited on Sundays and that's been the case from the beginning of time. Gil

That won’t be the case next year (except for the Sunday part). The whole state will be 4/1-5/1 and 3 birds.

Covehnter

Sorry to be the odd ball here but how bout everyone do what they think is needed for a healthy turkey population on there own property!!!
The state will do what they think needs to be done, (or test ideas) on public property.
Private property take care of yourselves!

And for those of us that do not have "their own" property?

And I thought public ground was "our" property?

This is very similar to the youth season not being allowed on public ground- punishing those without private access.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
The other issue is those that forego the other pleasures of life to pay a lot of money to lease land. And manage(spend more money and work their tails off) a huntable population of turkeys. Are they suppose to "pay the price" for the state letting $75 hunters flock to public places and just hunt turkeys? If that's where it ends up.

I'm not sure who's going to get punished in the future, but I hope it's not the ones "taking care of themselves". Or anyone else.

Buckman18

And for those of us that do not have "their own" property?

And I thought public ground was "our" property?

This is very similar to the youth season not being allowed on public ground- punishing those without private access.
I hunt several WMA’s and the NF in the piedmont and mountain regions. We have no shortage of turkeys on public land. We also have no shortage of folks who like to complain instead of hunt, unfortunately. If I believed all the nonsense I read and heard about deer and turkey populations I would have stopped hunting 20 years ago.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I can only speak for Southwest Georgia, but in spite of the most rain we`ve had this year in at least 8 years, we have the finest hatch of biddies that I have ever seen in my life. Our woods are overrun with turkeys.

That`s just fine with me.

JWT

I went 5 times this yr, & killed 3 mature birds I’m talking 3 & 4 yr olds, 2 in northern zone & one south, seen tons of birds , only difference I see is they gobble less, but my southern place is slap eat up with them , just picked it up last yr

Arrow3

That's a problem? Our season here runs April 13-May 11 next year, it's always been like that-about a month. With a two-bird limit. I don't know if it makes a difference, but we are sure slap-dab infested with turkeys.
Hey pal... got a spot for me ??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hey pal... got a spot for me ??
Yep. About a million acres of national forest covered in turkeys. Come kill some of them so they don't agrravate me to death during deer season. :)

QuackAttack101

I hunt several WMA’s and the NF in the piedmont and mountain regions. We have no shortage of turkeys on public land. We also have no shortage of folks who like to complain instead of hunt, unfortunately. If I believed all the nonsense I read and heard about deer and turkey populations I would have stopped hunting 20 years ago.

Kind of funny that you're quoting Dave's post and talking about someone who likes to complain and not hunt turkeys. I can assure you that he hunts turkeys more than anyone on this forum. This guy kills more public land turkeys than you can ever dream of.

Also, I think you missed the point of his post. He was just saying that those of us who do not have our own land can't take advantage of the youth turkey season or manage for turkeys as we see fit as sea trout suggested

Buckman18

Kind of funny that you're quoting Dave's post and talking about someone who likes to complain and not hunt turkeys. I can assure you that he hunts turkeys more than anyone on this forum. This guy kills more public land turkeys than you can ever dream of.

Also, I think you missed the point of his post. He was just saying that those of us who do not have our own land can't take advantage of the youth turkey season or manage for turkeys as we see fit as sea trout suggested

“Punishing those without private access.”

Your friend should inquire about joining our hunting lease. Last I heard we have an opening?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Quackattack is right. If all you hunt is public land then you cannot manage it as you want like private land. That's why public land will try to make the best desicions possible for licence buyers. Try to get your voice heard or get involved. I don't know how and it may not be easy but it's possible. Y'all are the licence buyers. You're the people.
I grew up as a teen and most of my 20's hunting public land. No problems. No complaints.
Now I'd rather hunt private land in South East.
It has not been easy but I work my tail off for our awesome huntin club. The dues are the cheapest part. Our club has no requirerment for anyone to help with food plots or any workday's. So I take it upon myself to haul the tractor that I bought down and make food plots and bush hog accordingly. It's expensive and time consuming but I want to do it. It's a priority of mine on our 1600 acres. I work extra hard at my job for extra money to do this. Cause huntin with my family is on my mind everyday!
So don't make a state turkey rule that affect s the many many Georgia turkey hunters who are like me. Don't tell me how I should and should not kill my birds. Don't tell me when. The Ga regulations book already does that and that's what I'll follow. Nobody said it was easy. And it aint, but I'll do my best while following the book. Everyone else should too.

DRBugman85

Quackattack is right. If all you hunt is public land then you cannot manage it as you want like private land. That's why public land will try to make the best desicions possible for licence buyers. Try to get your voice heard or get involved. I don't know how and it may not be easy but it's possible. Y'all are the licence buyers. You're the people.
I grew up as a teen and most of my 20's hunting public land. No problems. No complaints.
Now I'd rather hunt private land in South East.
It has not been easy but I work my tail off for our awesome huntin club. The dues are the cheapest part. Our club has no requirerment for anyone to help with food plots or any workday's. So I take it upon myself to haul the tractor that I bought down and make food plots and bush hog accordingly. It's expensive and time consuming but I want to do it. It's a priority of mine on our 1600 acres. I work extra hard at my job for extra money to do this. Cause huntin with my family is on my mind everyday!
So don't make a state turkey rule that affect s the many many Georgia turkey hunters who are like me. Don't tell me how I should and should not kill my birds. Don't tell me when. The Ga regulations book already does that and that's what I'll follow. Nobody said it was easy. And it aint, but I'll do my best while following the book. Everyone else should too.
I'm with you, We spend a lot of money for our lease land and time and sweat on food plots and Predator control, that's why we have the game (Deer & Turkeys)on the land.We have more turkeys this year than the last 5 years due to the WORK we do.Poults on every plot and Deer a plenty, even with all rain it been a good hatch for turkey population and the quail have come on strong.Cutting the season and limit on Gobblers will have ZERO affect on Turkey population in SOUTH Georgia predators are the problem, coyote, Fox Bobcat, Coon and. skunks, Control them and the turkey population will and has exploded here.

Covehnter

This I agree with, I think this entire situation is the "squeaky wheel" scenerio. I have said so from the beginning. There are good years and not so good years. Turkeys are boom-bust, that's how it works. Those that grind it out, get their turkeys, have their fun and go on about their business. . . quietly. Then you have the squeakys. . .

Buckman18

This I agree with, I think this entire situation is the "squeaky wheel" scenerio. I have said so from the beginning. There are good years and not so good years. Turkeys are boom-bust, that's how it works. Those that grind it out, get their turkeys, have their fun and go on about their business. . . quietly. Then you have the squeakys. . .

Looks like I’m going to have to tell my 11 year old to take it easy during youth weekend. :eek: