Thoughts on Publix?

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
It's our local grocery store. They have really good deals on meat at times.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I use to work at Publix when I was in high school....my granddad was a food buyer (probably not the right term) but he helped Charles and George Jenkins find suppliers for their first store in FL.

I am 53 now...you will not find a better run chain with focus on cleanliness, customer service and variety. Yeah...little higher price wise but you don't expect to go to a high end restaurant and expect to pay 10 bucks for a ribeye either.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I use to work at Publix when I was in high school....my granddad was a food buyer (probably not the right term) but he helped Charles and George Jenkins find suppliers for their first store in FL.

I am 53 now...you will not find a better run chain with focus on cleanliness, customer service and variety. Yeah...little higher price wise but you don't expect to go to a high end restaurant and expect to pay 10 bucks for a ribeye either.
I've heard they take good care of their employees too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Y'all have Sav-a-Lots?
Nope. We have Ingles, Bi-lo, Food Lion, and Go Grocery (random, dented cans, crappy cheap stuff,) in my town. Harris Teeter, Trader Joe's, and Aldi's in Asheville. Publix has just started moving in here in the last couple years.

Swamprat

Swamprat

They do....a few folks I worked with were offered manager school, whether procduce, ordering, back then when they had a on site butcher, etc.

I was approached about it as well to take care of all the dairy products when I was a senior stocker but declined, heck before that in the early 80's I was making 30-50 dollars on tips a day just taking groceries out to cars. Holidays I could make anywhere from 75 to 150 bucks a day. Great extra money for a 16-17 year old kid in the early 80's. Barely cashed a check, just lived off tip money.

Oldstick

They got one in Asheville about a mile from where I work. I thought that too, until I went in there one day. Great quality stuff at great prices. I love Trader Joe's.

I never had a clue about Trader Joes then. The only reason I even know that name is I used to have to go Long Beach, CA where I worked and often it was a big group of us being sent. There was a Trader Joe's near their hotel so the ladies always got together and hit that store up. They always came back with candies and such, so I thought it was something like a Cracker Barrel gift shop.

:LOL:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The produce we bring back from California is top grade. We make sure of temps of products. They have temp recorders in the refer.
Our trailers are new. We wash them out after ever load.
Publix checks everything once it is delivered to warehouses.
They will reject quick !!

Everyone at our company is proud of the way BkW & I load everything and pay Attention to what is loaded. I have rejected it if the temps was not right before loadin.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
My best and oldest friend passed all of a sudden a few months ago. His son works for Publix and before we could gather up the money that the family needed, they up and paid all that was needed with out any thought about it.

Major Wader

Trader Joe's is another private label only store. We tried their stuff. Beer and wine OK, other stuff not so much.

Bulk candy cheap at Trader Joe's, if you like candy.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
It is about 12-14 miles to the closest large chain grocery store I hope Publix will put a store in Monroe Ga. soon.

JonathanG2013

Publix is clean and have a good selection. They are a little bit more expensive than Kroger, Ingles, Piggy Wiggly, etc.

Their produce is usually good. You can also return any item you bought for any reason with receipt and get your money back. A co-worker used to work at Publix. A woman returned a half eaten gallon of ice cream and got their money back.

Also this weekend 3/8/19 to 3/10/19 you can get any foot long sub for $5.99.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
My only issue with Publix is the overzealous bag ladies tryin to take my groceries to my car every time. Some of em won;t take no for an answer. I wasn't raised to let an 80 year old woman load my groceries for me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Joe's is another private label only store. We tried their stuff. Beer and wine OK, other stuff not so much.

Bulk candy cheap at Trader Joe's, if you like candy.
Excellent produce, cheese, bread, olive oil and such for an unbeatable price. Decent meats, excellent sandwich and cured meats.

bassboy1

One thing I didn't see listed was the quality of the sales. Publix tends to have more stuff on sale in a given week, and more things BOGO than Ingles or Kroger.

And, decent stuff that you actually want (bacon is usually BOGO 2 - 3 weeks a month, for instance. Mt Olive pickles, too. Name brand condiments, etc.

The sale ad comes in the paper, so I'll glance through it, and go stock up on whatever. If I get something from them that's not on sale, it's because I'm there anyway, and need it for supper that night. Most of my regular grocery stuff comes from Aldi or Kroger.

I haven't seen it in awhile, but they used to put 'chuck eye' steaks on sale. Sometimes for $4.99/pound. Those are worth stocking up on.