Thoughts on the warm weather and its effect on spring season

stanp105

Was talking to a buddy of mine and the discussion turned to the warm winter so far, and what effects it might have on spring season. Anyone have their thoughts of how it may change things for spring turkey 2016?

cowhornedspike

First day of winter was just monday. Give it a chance...it ain't over yet.

Otherwise doubt it will affect things much. All reliable info I've read says they gobble, breed, and nest based on daylight hours and not temp anyway.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This ain`t the first warm winter in the history of the South. The birds will do just like they do every spring.

Winter ain`t over yet anyway. Liable to get powerful cold over the next couple of months.

sman

I think I heard they are calling for a very cold and wet Jan and Feb.

cowhornedspike

I think I heard they are calling for a very cold and wet Jan and Feb.

Not sure about cold and wet but I know it will be a very very long Jan, Feb, and March up until the 26th and then the next 6 weeks will fly by in a hurry.

turkeykirk

Warm weather now won't make any difference this Spring. But it might up North in NY where I hunt in the Spring. This time last year they had over 7 feet of snow. So far this year only a couple of inches. I'm sure the lack of snow helps in the survival rate of the turkey flock. A lot easier finding food when the ground ain't covered in 3+ feet of snow! But Winter ain't over yet.

six

On second thought they will be gobbled and bred out by opening day. So no need in even going this spring. Everybody should just go fishing this spring instead of turkey hunting.

M Sharpe

On second thought they will be gobbled and bred out by opening day. So no need in even going this spring. Everybody should just go fishing this spring instead of turkey hunting.

You are right there Ronnie!!

sman

I second. Season is here by dismissed.

Johnny 71

Junebug
Yep everybody go fishing, and if any turkey action, starts in the north west part of the state, I will let everybody know

mauser64

I heard Cedar Creek and Piedmont Experiment station have already cancelled their turkey hunting due to the warm fall. Too bad.

turkeykirk

I heard Cedar Creek and Piedmont Experiment station have already cancelled their turkey hunting due to the warm fall. Too bad.

Guess I'll be the only one there for a change!

Gut_Pile

2012 was a very warm winter and spring, everything was green by opening day and the birds were on fire all season it seemed. If warm weather produces another spring like 2012, then give me all the warm weather you want.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
It would make sense to me, that a warm winter is a good thing. The turkeys will burn off less of there fat reserves. They will head into breeding season in better condition. Hopefully it will lead to more turkeys.

hawglips

Banned
Last real mild weather they had out in UT in 2012, by late May when I went out to hunt, the gobblers were flocked back up and I had to fall hunt them to kill one.