"Through" Another challenge

Artfuldodger

Hey Art, do you think that any of the disciples thought Jesus was God?

I got carried away again and didn't answer. The disciples pretty much had a Jewish mindset. Christianity in that the Messiah had came was knew to them. Not that he was promised but that he had finally been sent by God.
I guess the key would be if they were looking for the Messiah to be a man or to be God. Did they think the High Priest needed to be God?

If they couldn't understand the Easter story until after it happens, how could they understand the Trinity even if it is true? I would think they saw their God, the God of Abraham as one.
I can't imagine them seeing him as a three-in-one God.
I think that concept or the ability to believe it if true came later.

Which makes me wonder if our Christian knowledge or knowledge from God increases over the ages. Such as the Protestant protest. Maybe input on allowing female preachers. How we view the man being the head of woman. How we view God as the head of Christ.

Is the world's knowledge increasing? Are we finally "getting it" or are we "losing it?"

If Jesus is talking to them in terms like My God and your God, my Father and your Father, etc. then why would they assume he was not telling them the truth about who their God was? Their God was his God.
They were told to keep his Father's commands. Jesus spoke as though his Father was God and he was the Son of God when speaking to the disciples.
I would think they understood this to be like all of the other father and son relationships they were aware of.

No I do not think the disciples believed Jesus was God but send from God.

I would think that if you told them Jesus was God, they would picture the Father becoming the Son. That the one God, incarnate as man. Since they saw God as one, if you forced this belief on them, then this one God would have to become Jesus.
Not that this beleif was forced on them but if it was this is how they would see it.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

John 17:2
For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him.

This is Jesus speaking to his Father. The eternal life is from God.