Throw and Mow Questions

destincabo

Have just mowed a couple of acres below some hardwoods that have decent sunlight and want to convert into clover in the fall. There is the normal assortment of grasses and "stuff" that I'll need to get rid of. I will be getting a soil test (I know I"m going to need lime). But trying to limit tillage and be as environmentally friendly as I can, would it make sense to: Burn growth down with GLY, spread lime and fertilizer into dead material, spread buckwheat seed and mow to cover with thatch?

Or will I need to till the lime in vs having it sit on top of the soil? The buckwheat would be planted mainly for soil health, organic matter and something that could help smother out unwanted weeds until fall when I can plant the clover.

I am guess that in the fall I would need to spray the bucket wheat with FLY, disk it in so that I have a clean soil bed to spread my clover and cultipack?

Thanks for an insight.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
If your long term goal is to do throw and mow, I suggest you go ahead and get your soil test done, then apply the P & K that is recommended for clover and then the needed lime (Unless it's something like 6 tons to the acre, then just spread 1/2). Work that into the top 4-6" of soil, so all that good stuff, is down where the roots will be.

In years down the road, after another soil test is done (2 years), you can top dress the lime and your additional P&K.

GeorgeShu

Make a nice smooth seed bed in the process. You will make many trips across it in the future and will appreciate the smooth surface every time!