Tide Info

PROLINE JIM

I know the tides play a huge role in fishing the Ga. coast.
What are the best tides; high or low ; incoming or outgoing, or does it depend on the species of fish you are trying to catch?
Thanks for your help!!

wharfrat

You ask 3 different guys you may get 3 different answers. Alot of folks will say they just like the water to move. It's probably best to figure out where they go at all tides. I prefer the last 3 hours of outgoing and the first 2 of incomming. I fish rivers and creeks mostly, and the low tide seems to flush bait and concentrate the fish. i do have spots where i fish during the high tides and i often use different techniques during different tides. pros and cons to both tides and species does enter the equation at times. i mostly fish for trout, reds and flounder and use a lot of artificials.

PaulD

Banned
Jim, to me it's more of a where then what I'm fishing for. My partner likes the incoming, I like the outgoing. Some spots are much better on one fluctuation than the other. Just gotta fish spots on both tides to find when they like to be there.

Inshore GA

Fishing is good at all stages of tides. Look for structure on low water that will become submurged at high water then return and give it a try. Low out going does concentrate the fish usually around creek mouths.

It takes a little time to figure it out but it sure is fun!

When you do catch fish usually you won't forget the place or the tide but it don't hurt to keep a log.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
proline jim what kind of fish are you holding in your picture?
i like the out going tide...from the minute it starts pulling away, for the next 2 or 3 hours. i find thats when i catch lots of fish hanging around submerged or almost submerged structure. they wait a long time for the tide to pull food off its protection into the water where the fish are waiting.
like wharfrat said though, everyone likes a different tide and they swear its the best. it's different for everybody.

crackerdave

Sure is good to have y'all coastal folks here.I appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge,and promise never to ask for your favorite spots.
I'm a kayak fisherman these days,and I'm much more familiar with the Jacksonville/St.Augustine area than the Ga.coast.I do know there is a much stronger tidal flow in Ga. than N.E. Fla. inshore.
'Preciate y'all!

PROLINE JIM

That's a med. sized Mayan Cichlid we were catching in the upper part of the Everglades.
Thanks for all ya'lls input. Can't wait to get to the Ga. coast to put some of it to use.

Capt. Richie Lott

Fishing is good at all stages of tides. Look for structure on low water that will become submurged at high water then return and give it a try. Low out going does concentrate the fish usually around creek mouths.

It takes a little time to figure it out but it sure is fun!

When you do catch fish usually you won't forget the place or the tide but it don't hurt to keep a log.

Well Put....

Mweathers

Like the others, I can fish on both high and low tide, but prefer the last two hrs before and after each. Water is not moving so fast, and it is a little less muddy.

I have more success on a 1/4 to 3/4 moon though. Might be cause that's how I always fished it too.

Mike

PaulD

Banned
That's a med. sized Mayan Cichlid

The smaller sized are awesome back country snook bait down there!!!!

I was also gonna mention that the tidal swings also effect offshore fishing. On big fluctuations the fish will be holding very tight on the backsite of structure so they will have a break from the current, on smaller tides they will be out moving around more. I've also noticed that even offshore the bite seems to slow down down or stop at dead periods in the tidal swing.

Gotta remember fish want as much food as they can and want to expend as little energy as they can to get it!

Capt. Richie Lott

We must cater to the fish.... Agreed on the offshore structure holding fish. Good Point.

The smaller sized are awesome back country snook bait down there!!!!

I was also gonna mention that the tidal swings also effect offshore fishing. On big fluctuations the fish will be holding very tight on the backsite of structure so they will have a break from the current, on smaller tides they will be out moving around more. I've also noticed that even offshore the bite seems to slow down down or stop at dead periods in the tidal swing.

Gotta remember fish want as much food as they can and want to expend as little energy as they can to get it!

razor1

Mr James, all I can say from my experience is when its slack its time to eat your snack. I see some good points have been made to your question, so with that being said I cant explain why it is but the fish just dont bite with no current. Capt. RL is the man that really knows the differant tide stages here and the current flows and whats best for a paticular fish, either in-shore, near-shore or off-shore, it all makes a differance. I also believe the differant weather patterns that we get here will strongly affect from day to day what tides are best. You may catch a limit today, and then fish the same tide tomorrow with a differant wind direction and not even get a bite, so I guess thats why its called fishing my friend, and I love it!! EJ

Last edited: